SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Dive Trips and Corona Virus

Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:29 am

Dive Trips and Corona Virus...
- Of course there are no government directives specifically aimed at Scuba Diving during an epidemic. But, I've been thinking of the first Fortune Pond trip of this season and got some feedback from my buddies as well as Claudia our Inn Keeper at the Lakeshore Motel. And really, I think our main issue will be the "Social Distancing" requirement. But also anything requiring person to person contact and enclosed spaces. So...

1. Transportation - We just can't carpool. Each diver drives his own car to and from the dive site.
2. Lodging - No doubling up to save money. Each diver gets his own room.
3. No sharing of regulators... Trying out each other's latest build, etc... No buddy breathing, etc.
4. No eating together... Bring your own or go get your own take-out.
5. Limit personal interactions, breathing on each other, talking can transfer spit, bumping into each other, etc.
6. etc... etc...

- Hmmm... We could probably just forget about doing any dive trips together. Just go by ourselves. :(
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Dive Trips and Corona Virus

Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:52 pm

Well, the only deal breaker is number 4. No eating together. I haven't spoke to Claudia yet, but if we can get rooms we can do a work around for dinner. That would involve grilling out at the Lake Shore. One could maintain distancing and operate a grill. Or using a Colmen stove to heat up chili. It could be done and it could be done safely. I have no plans until the middle of May to get to Fortune and by that time all of this could be past..... I hope. We'll see what happens. I've got regulators to test. Especially the 2020 Dacor Olympic double hose. I'm really looking forward to that one!

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:36 am

- Cripes I forgot I posted the depressing first entry on this thread. Sorry about that. Since that day, I finally decided on a "finished" point in my Tornado/Kidde compressor project... And I'm calling it FINISHED! I now have three compressors: Rix, MCH-6, and Tornado Kidde in good working order and ready to fill tanks. Now I need to get busy emptying tanks... So I can fill them back up again.
- Dive buddy Ron Sheriffdiver was talking about a Wazee Trip this weekend. Sea Hunt Jerry was talking about a day trip to Square lake. SwimJim has already been wreck diving in Lake Michigan. The Dive Season is upon us!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:48 pm

Well, I did get out and dive a local wreck. I had a minor mishap coming into dock. No serious damage but I have decided to dry dock the MV Swimjim for an overdue refit. But I'll be back out shortly. Wazee is open. Ten foot viz...... A lot of stuff is closed down due to the virus thing making anything more than a one day trip not worth it. But that will change and probably pretty soon. I have some new toys to test out. Looking forward to the season!

SnarkIII
Lung Diver
First Name: Skip

Sun May 03, 2020 5:05 am

The beaches here in Mass are open, however our Governor has banned parking at the beaches. If you live within walking distance you're good. If you live a distance like I do you're out of luck. I hope they reopen the parking soon. The locals have been trying to get the towns to ban parking for out of towners for years.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sun May 03, 2020 9:28 am

The locals have been trying to get the towns to ban parking for out of towners for years.

That sounds smart. I guess just forget about the money that the "out-of-towners" bring to the area.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Wed May 06, 2020 10:47 pm

I've been diving solo but that's it. I'm sure what everyone's laws are but I have a clearance and cannot run afoul of the law so I've been going by myself.

It is still fun, but man it's lonely. I leave an emergency response plan with the girlfriend before I go.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”