stephenws
Skin Diver
First Name: Stephen

Argonaut Wings

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:18 am

Can someone tell me if the Argonaut Wings require a single tank adapter (STA)?

I'm getting back into diving and have a lot of Halcyon backplate/harness equipment which requires a metal STA that positions the tank further away from my back. I'm guessing this isn't a good thing for double hose diving.

I will be ordering a Kraken reg and am thinking I should also get an Argonaut wing - probably the 35# wing, as most of my diving is in cold water with semi-dry or drysuit.

Any info or advice appreciated. Thanks.

- Steve

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Argonaut Wings

Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:09 am

I don't know anyone who is using a STA with the VDH wing on a VDH back plate and have not heard of anyone using one with any other plate. If you are using a DH reg then you definitely don't want anything that will move the tank farther from your back. With a DH reg, the closer the better.
Herman

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:41 am

From photos of the wing, it looks like they have incorporated some anti-roll system where the cam bands go through. I would say that no STA is needed.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:26 am

No single cylinder adapter is needed. Roll control built into the wing itself. Even without that I've never used a STA on any wing I've had in the past.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

tbone1004
Master Diver
First Name: Tom

Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:24 am

also of note, you really don't want to use a STA on the VDH backplate since there is no spine recess. The bolts will be uncomfortable and likely dangerous.

No need for STA though my Freedom plate has one integrated so I use it that way

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:22 pm

In addition to what has already been said I'd offer that a single tank adapter is now mostly considered old technology. I haven't had one for at least 5-6 years. They were originally for the era when wings were all for doubles and you only used a backplate and wing with singles out of necessity. Pretty much all modern wings have roll control in them now. I think just some Halcyon and Dive Rite stuff still uses them. I've never really understood the use case for a STA in the modern era.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”