Flakotter
Lung Diver
First Name: Traner

SPG gauge

Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:48 pm

Evening everyone, I am looking for opinions on SPG gauges. I’m looking at picking up my first vintage gauge and was wondering if anybody had recommendations for good ones or ones to avoid. It seems like some can be opened up and some are factory sealed. I’m looking at vintage but if there is a modern one that someone really likes, I open to any input. Thanks guys.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: SPG gauge

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:06 pm

Personally, I like the Dacor gauges because that's what I had back in a day AND they have big numbers that are easily readable. A close second would be Scubapro gauges...

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:40 pm

I have had good luck with the smaller USD gauges. Most of them have badly fogged lenses but they can easily be restored. Makes a nice first project and since the lenses are often badly fogged, the price is usually low.

Just keep in mind, very few DH regs had a place for a SPG although you can always use a banjo.
Herman

Flakotter
Lung Diver

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Thanks guys for the input. Herman, how do you deal with the fogged lens? Acrylic polish? What else is involved in restoring one other than general cleaning? I have a long yoke Mistral project that I’m SLOWLY working out. All the guts have been done, I just need to save my pennies for new rubber parts and for the weather to warm back up, it’s 18 degrees in Minnesota at the moment. What I would give to be back home in NC.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:41 am

I thought I posted a thread on how I restored them but I can't seem to find it. I am away this week but when I get back I will look up the info and repost it. But basically, I sand the disk down with very fine wet sandpaper and then polish it with either tooth paste or auto buffing compound.
Herman

Flakotter
Lung Diver

Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:21 pm

Thanks Herman.

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:27 pm

I have some that had or have a bubbly oily looking haze on the inside of the lens. If the lens is removable, the thick gummy stuff can be removed with Goof-off or solvent. One needs to be careful with solvents! They can damage plastic....

As Herman mentioned, if it's just the outside that is scratched and scuffed, plastic window polish, toothpaste, etc., can clean them up nicely.

My favorite SPGs are the ones with a capillary depth gauge around the bezel. The tubing is often discolored and shrunken, but if the little connector plug is intact, new tubing is available and they're easy to fix. The Sportsways SeaVue is nice, and USD has a nice combo gauge.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:32 am

Hey Phil,

My two cents is as follows; 1. Make sure the SPG you are using can accomodate modern tank pressures if you aren't diving vintage low pressure tanks. I have hooked up an old "Sea Vue" and killed it using a 3300 psi tank. 2. Go solid brass with a maintaninable bezel. replaceable o-ring/gasket and lens if possible. They are far more rugged when using a Banjo fittting. The plastic ones can get dinged, scratched or even cracked when whipping around on a lone hose off your yoke.

My favorites are Scubapro, or Farallon. USD did make an all metal one as well, but are harder to come by.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver

Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:32 am

Hey Phil,

My two cents is as follows; 1. Make sure the SPG you are using can accomodate modern tank pressures if you aren't diving vintage low pressure tanks. I have hooked up an old "Sea Vue" and killed it using a 3300 psi tank. 2. Go solid brass with a maintaninable bezel. replacable o-ring/gasket and lens if possible. They are far more rugged when using a Banjo fittting. The plastic ones can get dinged, scratched or even cracked when whipping around on a lone hose off your yoke.

My favorites are Scubapro, or Farallon. USD did make an all metal one as well, but are harder to come by.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Russell, If you have a Farallon gauge that hasn't flooded it may be a one-of-a-kind that belongs in a museum. Just my 2 psi of regret from my experience of selling some of them in the 70's. :?
The older I get the better I was.

Bronze06
Master Diver

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:22 am

antique diver wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:57 pm
Russell, If you have a Farallon gauge that hasn't flooded it may be a one-of-a-kind that belongs in a museum. Just my 2 psi of regret from my experience of selling some of them in the 70's. :?

They do show up from time to time on eBay. Just got to look really well at the pictures and make a judgement call as to condition. So far. I've been lucky. :shock: :shock:

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”