dfdahl
First Name: David

loc-tite

Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:35 pm

So my first foray into rebuilding a couple of two hosers, I found a decent looking mistral on fleabay and a little later a RAM. I have been using a DAAM for a while and just wanted to try a little variety. The first excitement was finding numerous screws held in with RED loc-tite. Heat and persuasion overcame but I am wondering how often every one come across "Bubba'd" regs. The RAM it turns out had a damn DAAM nozzle in it. As of now I have a cyclone nozzle on the way to compliment HPR second I had ordered before. Oh well, you can fix anything if you throw enough money at it. I think I'll just dive now and not take in any more strays.
David

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: loc-tite

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:29 pm

Welcome to VDH.
From time to time you will see some odd ball things in a reg.
I once bought a "DA" that the owner swears was his since it was new.....except it had a complete Royal Master (NOT RAM) first stage in it. I was tickled to get it even though it was supposed to be a DA. The RM was only made in 64-65 so it's pretty rare.

By the way, there is no need for Loctite in the regs , that said, if you are using a brass nut on the LP seat holder, a drop of some kind of sealant on the nut is a good idea.....I use "I don't like that color any more" fingernail polish. It sets up quick, is solid but flakes off easily when you need it to. Finding an orphan color is not usually a problem. :)
Herman

jrltenn
Master Diver
First Name: Joshua

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:38 pm

Herman I didn’t realize you were so fickle with the color of your nails...

dfdahl

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:30 pm

Thanks guys, I'm pretty mechanical and I couldn't see any need for loc-tite, especially red. Maybe I will take on another on. Actually I have a calypso, a calypso iv and a calypso J that should be done...... again thanks

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:14 am

jrltenn wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:38 pm
Herman I didn’t realize you were so fickle with the color of your nails...
Not fickle, humanitarian , I rescue the poor polish from going to the dump......or maybe I'm just cheap. :)
Herman

dfdahl

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:15 pm

I just pulled apart an older cyklon 3000 and it looks to me that the diaphragm is the same as the one I just put in my RAM. Any thoughts on that out there?

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:50 pm

Wouldn't surprise me.
You may have more luck starting a new thread with the question in the title. Someone who actually knows may not look at this thread.
Herman

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:23 pm

dfdahl wrote:
I just pulled apart an older cyclon 3000 and it looks to me that the diaphragm is the same as the one I just put in my RAM. Any thoughts on that out there?
The more regulators you open up the more you may notice that many operational designs from various brands are just copies (with minor variations) of everyone else's designs, many times right down to the exact measurements.
The older I get the better I was.

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:29 am

antique diver wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:23 pm
dfdahl wrote:
I just pulled apart an older cyclon 3000 and it looks to me that the diaphragm is the same as the one I just put in my RAM. Any thoughts on that out there?
The more regulators you open up the more you may notice that many operational designs from various brands are just copies (with minor variations) of everyone else's designs, many times right down to the exact measurements.

Probably because they are all built by a few contractors and slightly altered in appearance to appear different depending on the brand name it is sold under.
Lawn tractors are an example, all most all are built by MTD with changes in body work and colors for a specific brand.
Captain

dfdahl

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:48 pm

So my cyclone first stage arrived today and went straight in to my RAM. I had already installed an HPR second so now I have to hit the water. My Mistral is done as well so now with my DAAM I've three two hosers. My only BC is a Dacor horse collar so I think I am vintage. At 69 I know I am vintage!

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:15 pm

dfdahl wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:48 pm
So my cyclone first stage arrived today and went straight in to my RAM. I had already installed an HPR second so now I have to hit the water. My Mistral is done as well so now with my DAAM I've three two hosers. My only BC is a Dacor horse collar so I think I am vintage. At 69 I know I am vintage!
Only 3? :D The DH disease is just beginning to metastasize in you. It will get worse, I promise. :lol: 8) Congratulations on your accomplishments!
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”