hunterkz
Lung Diver
First Name: gary

DA Navy double hose question

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:08 pm

I'm new to the double hose regs and I came across a USD DA Navy approved unit. It is in pretty clean condition with minimal corrosion. Needs a full rebuild to be put in use. Is this a good reg to start with or should I get something like a RAM instead. They are asking $100 for the unit. Thanks

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: DA Navy double hose question

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:17 pm

A DA Navy Approved is nice to have in your collection but not so nice to dive with. Due to the limitations of it's early 2nd stage you cannot get it near the ease of breathing you can with a DA Aqua Master or Royal Aqua Master.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:23 pm

Agree with Bryan. As I recall the DA Navy has Broxton internals which means no venturi assist. I just finished rebuilding a Voit Mariner with the same internals. It breathes but takes some sustained effort.  It was a fun project and I learned a lot but it was a pain in the butt overall. I believe a Phoenix or Cyclone 1st stage will fit the DA Navy but not a HPR. For a first go at rebuilding a DH two stage I'd go with a Aquamaster or Voit Navy (same thing internally) and much better breather. My 2psi. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:41 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:Agree with Bryan. As I recall the DA Navy has Broxton internals which means no venturi assist. I just finished rebuilding a Voit Mariner with the same internals. It breathes but takes some sustained effort.  It was a fun project and I learned a lot but it was a pain in the butt overall. I believe a Phoenix or Cyclone 1st stage will fit the DA Navy but not a HPR. For a first go at rebuilding a DH two stage I'd go with a Aquamaster or Voit Navy (same thing internally) and much better breather. My 2psi. Mark
A DA Aqua Master will likely be the cheapest route. Either the Cyclone or Phoenix first stage update and the HPR 2nd stage with necessary accessories and you will have a double hose that breathes better than any before it. Only the Argonaut Kraken will out perform it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:13 am

I have a couple of the DA Navy Approved regs in my collection. I'm glad to have them but agree with the previous posts. They will get you under water, but they are not the best breathers. I also agree that the DA whether it be an early satin chrome or a later shiny chrome reg offers the best bang for the buck. The DA was essentially the same reg throughout it's production run from 1958 to 1973. Another reg you should consider would be the DA's sibling, the Mistral. It's a single stage with only a few moving parts. Tuned up right a Mistral can offer super performance. Being a single stage you will not be able to use accessories with it, but you can get around that. I happen to really like single stage regs, so I sling a pony and I can run my dry suit off of that. A wing to if you use one.

captain
Plank Owner

Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:32 am

I agree with all of the above. A DA Aqua Master or Royal Aqua Master or Mistral would serve you best. The DA Navy is nice to have as part of a collection but no so much for actual use.
Captain

hunterkz
Lung Diver
First Name: gary

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:42 pm

Thanks guys. I will keep an eye out for the others mentioned. It will be a fun project but take a while to afford all the new goodies to make it even better than new. Thanks again

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:29 am

hunterkz wrote:
.... It will be a fun project but take a while to afford all the new goodies to make it even better than new. Thanks again
It seems like we all (myself included) have the urge to make things work better than they did when new, but if you just put it together in as close as possible to original configuration (with new or resurfaced parts like hp seat and new lp seat), and tune it as well as possible, you can experience the feel of what diving was really like in the 50's and 60's. We were just glad to be able to breathe underwater even if it took a little effort and imposed limitations on depth and exertion levels. You may find it interesting.... that's one of the aspects of Vintage Diving that you might like to experience at least once. You can always add performance enhancement features to it or another regulator at a future date. That's fun too!
The older I get the better I was.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:02 am

antique diver wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:29 am
hunterkz wrote:
.... It will be a fun project but take a while to afford all the new goodies to make it even better than new. Thanks again
It seems like we all (myself included) have the urge to make things work better than they did when new, but if you just put it together in as close as possible to original configuration (with new or resurfaced parts like hp seat and new lp seat), and tune it as well as possible, you can experience the feel of what diving was really like in the 50's and 60's. We were just glad to be able to breathe underwater even if it took a little effort and imposed limitations on depth and exertion levels. You may find it interesting.... that's one of the aspects of Vintage Diving that you might like to experience at least once. You can always add performance enhancement features to it or another regulator at a future date. That's fun too!
Well said Bill.......With all the updates we have made for the double hose in the past decade or so I think it's important that we remember how challenging the original "Lungs" could be and diving with one is an experience that I hope all double hosers get to have.

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”