ColemanJ
Diver
First Name: James

Addition of another vintage U.S. Divers label

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:53 pm

On my RAM and a recent Calypso J regulator there is an older metal foil U.S. Divers label that I would like to see reproduced. I have reproduced the files necessary to recreate them saving time for VDH to have some made if they are interested. I am including pictures of what the original looks like and on what the reproduction would look like. The files I have created for the new label are JPG, TIFF, and PSD (Photoshop). I believe that these would be a great addition to the store. I realize that there are minimum ordering requirements for VDH, but I believe there would be enough interest these.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: Addition of another vintage U.S. Divers label

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:46 am

I’d be in for some.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:47 pm

I could see an interest. These are always buggered up. I could probably need a few of them.

Nem

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:01 pm

High quality repro foil type labels are expensive and hard to get done right. Also, customers are VERY critical if they are not perfect.
I don't know what the correct font is called nor where to find it but if you can locate it you might be on to something.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ColemanJ
Diver

Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:10 am

I will research the font a little closer and see what I can do and let you know. Sorry for the late response but been out of town for the holidays and working long hours at work since returning. Thanks

ColemanJ
Diver

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Okay after some research I determined that US Divers probably had a graphic artist to draw the letters by hand. This was a common practice back before the age of computer technology. I have been a professional photographer and a graphic design dabbler for almost 40 years and I have seen a lot of fonts (hand drawn and computer generated) over the years. I went through my extensive library of computer fonts (and I have a lot!) and I believe I found a pretty close match. It isn't perfect but extremely close. It is called "Gill Sans Ultra Bold Condensed" I have it linked in my fonts library within MS Word, MS Publisher and several other design and photo editing software packages I have. Anyway, I have redone the label with the new font, printed it, and fit it to the yoke knob to display it for everyone. I have the design ready for download as a Jpeg file, tif file, and a Photoshop file. The pictures show the yoke knob with the old label and with the new label placed on top of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussions”