CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver
First Name: Cletus

Pulled the trigger!

Mon May 08, 2017 10:55 pm

Hello everyone,

I just ordered a Argonaut Kraken reg, and the VDH custom backplate. I cant wait to use it! Having the bubbles come out the back is going to be a major plus for video and camera work. Plus it is really a cool looking regulator to boot. SEA HUNT is ON! Ive never dove a double hose, so I have been reading up on techniques and placement. I plan on practicing with it at the pool before I go out to open water environment. My first cert was in 1979 and I am currently working on my DM to possibly instructor. So I get weekly pool time with my LDS which is a plus. I guess the main skill is clearing the reg. I think I read that is best to tilt you head to the left/exhaust side for easy clearing? Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers~ Clete

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Pulled the trigger!

Tue May 09, 2017 12:35 am

Welcome to Club Argonaut and to the Forum! You will learn much here. As with diving in general, the more you do the better you become at it. Give us photos and commentary on your first AK dives. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue May 09, 2017 7:04 am

Welcome to VDH and DH diving.
They do dive different....for lack of better terms, they feel different so take some time to get use to the different feel. It takes some time to get use to the feel of them but most people like the way they breath after spending some time using one. One thing that helps is to change your breathing pattern to a more yoga like pattern, long slow inhales followed by long slow exhales rather than a more shallow, hurried cycle common in single hose diving.

Clearing requires you get the exhaust valve, which in in the top can (the metal/plastic housing parts of a DH reg are called the cans) to a low point which means you do not just tilt you head but rather rotate your entire body on it's side. If I have a lot of water in the hoses, I will roll a little past 90 degrees and pause for a few seconds exhaling a full breath the entire time. If I am just messing around I will take a deep full breath then slowly exhale while doing a full 360 degree roll. It works well and fun to do. Remember, there are no purge buttons on a DH reg so you need to keep some air in your lungs when you remove the mouthpiece. There are ways to clear the mouthpiece and get a breath if you forget to take a breath before removing the mouthpiece, you need to learn those as well.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, the board has a lot of very experienced active DH divers who are always willing to help. If you are near any of us, I encourage you to get up with someone local to you and dive with them. It's a great way to pick up tips, to see how a DH is properly dove and to make friends.
Herman

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Tue May 09, 2017 6:56 pm

Thanks for the advice! I live on the Eastern Shore of MD and do training dives up at Willow Springs, and Dutch Springs. Our dive shop usually prefers Willow unless we are doing Advanced open water certs, then we go to Dutch as Willow is only 55 at the deepest part. I would love to meet some other DH divers and learn some pointers.

Cheers~ Clete

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue May 09, 2017 10:32 pm

I'll be starting on your new Argonaut Kraken on Thursday. In the meantime, take the opportunity to look over all the features it has and ask questions if you have any. The thread for new Kraken owners is a great place to see a lot of what other divers are up to.
As Herman said, you have a whole community here to help you get going!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Wed May 10, 2017 12:38 pm

[quote="Bryan"]I'll be starting on your new Argonaut Kraken on Thursday. In the meantime, take the opportunity to look over all the features it has and ask questions if you have any. The thread for new Kraken owners is a great place to see a lot of what other divers are up to.
As Herman said, you have a whole community here to help you get going!

Awesome news! I've definitely been doing some reading on the subject. I'll look for that thread for more info as well. Seems like a great community as well. :)

Cheers~ Clete

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Thu May 11, 2017 5:30 am

You are going to love the Kraken!!! Custom built but economically priced, great for ease of breathing, FULLY compatible with all accessories and equipment, photography friendly with the fishes and just plain cool to look at and use. Welcome to an exclusive club and keep on Double Hosing!!! 8) 8) 8)
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu May 11, 2017 8:15 am

Getting startedImage

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Thu May 11, 2017 10:18 am

Bronze06 wrote:You are going to love the Kraken!!! Custom built but economically priced, great for ease of breathing, FULLY compatible with all accessories and equipment, photography friendly with the fishes and just plain cool to look at and use. Welcome to an exclusive club and keep on Double Hosing!!! 8) 8) 8)
Yeah I love the look, and I am no fan of bubbles in my face. Added plus it's a lot less scary to the fish. I'll be hybrid diving primarily, but vintage diving without bc and just proper buoyancy is something I really want to experience. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Cheers- Clete

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Thu May 11, 2017 10:20 am

Bryan wrote:Getting startedImage

Woot!!! Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Fri May 12, 2017 1:15 pm

Are there any video tutorials on 2 hose needed skills on you tube?

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri May 12, 2017 1:40 pm

There are 4 or 5 sticky posts above this one Double Hose Diving 101, Getting started in double hose diving etc. All those topics contain hyperlinks to detailed articles about the subject. VDH has a YouTube channel with over 100 videos in it. Not all are instructional but there are a lot of great videos there.

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Fri May 12, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks for the info Bryan. I was watching some youtube videos on double hoses, but i didnt think to check to see if you had a channel. Ill get on that right away. :)

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri May 12, 2017 3:07 pm

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Fri May 12, 2017 8:25 pm

CAP2ND1961 wrote:Hello everyone,

I just ordered a Argonaut Kraken reg, and the VDH custom backplate. I cant wait to use it! Having the bubbles come out the back is going to be a major plus for video and camera work. Plus it is really a cool looking regulator to boot. SEA HUNT is ON! Ive never dove a double hose, so I have been reading up on techniques and placement. I plan on practicing with it at the pool before I go out to open water environment. My first cert was in 1979 and I am currently working on my DM to possibly instructor. So I get weekly pool time with my LDS which is a plus. I guess the main skill is clearing the reg. I think I read that is best to tilt you head to the left/exhaust side for easy clearing? Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers~ Clete
Is your lds more open minded about double hosing than they are on the west coast? Our dh's aren't welcome in the pool when students are anear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”