CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver
First Name: Cletus

Re: Pulled the trigger!

Mon May 22, 2017 11:04 am

tripplec wrote:My wife got me sea hunt on dvd. I of course had to make some of my own.
https://youtu.be/98XVdz0E3vQ

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Haha! That was awesome! That location has about the same vis as Willow Springs quarry in PA. Looks like you had a great time making that. :D

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Mon May 22, 2017 7:26 pm

Welcome to the board! You're doing a great job asking questions. This group helped me a great deal when I got started. You will love your Argonaut! You chose Wisely...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Mon May 22, 2017 7:59 pm

Thank you Mike!

Im quite looking forward to using a DH regulator. Im very curious to see how it behaves versus a single hose. I had been looking over getting a vintage DH and then low and behold I found a brand new model being offered. Well, actually was looking for a used 2005 Mistral, but then read that it was an ill designed paper weight. It was also a very expensive paper weight at that. I think MSRT 1200?? Then I came across this bulletin board, and found the Argonaut Kraken. What a great name and great design and logo. The black with red Kraken monster on it is epic.

So just biding my time while waiting for my new toy to arrive. This is worse than waiting for Xmas morning. :lol:

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Mon May 22, 2017 10:32 pm

As many others have said, I prefer diving my Argronaut to a single hose. SO much quieter and easy to breath. Not to mention the cool factor that's off the charts. Be patient.. we have been there my friend. You will be assembling your new reg very soon. We look forward to your after dive reports. Mike
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon May 22, 2017 10:52 pm

Hello CAP2d,

Here is a link to a video I did when I first received AK 14-021. Wow, has that been three years already? It has been referenced here before on the board and you may have seen it already but anyway, here is the link. Mark

https://vimeo.com/user17515021/argonaut-kraken
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Tue May 23, 2017 5:19 pm

Ha ha! Awesome little video there! What a wonderful place to dive, those kelp beds look amazing. I like your RIB, it have one myself.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue May 23, 2017 7:58 pm

CAP2ND1961 wrote:Ha ha! Awesome little video there! What a wonderful place to dive, those kelp beds look amazing. I like your RIB, it have one myself.
RHIBS are great. We are on our 4th one since 1982. The most recent, a 1992 Nautica (19') with a 135 hp Mercury outboard we bought in 2006. As with any decent boat, maintenance and repair costs add up. I figure we could get a new compressor every year for the upkeep. Oh well, nothing like having your own dive boat. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Tue May 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Here is a little video from my recent trip to Islamorada FL. So many cool fish to see. So does a DH reg hiss like a single hose on the intake?
https://vimeo.com/215109717

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Wed May 24, 2017 4:23 pm

Thank you Bryan! Perfect timing, my wing and harness just arrived at my LDS. I'm half tempted to go up to my pool and tie the tank around me with a rope. Lol. I'm stoked, can't wait to dive it. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Sat May 27, 2017 4:11 pm

CAP2ND1961 wrote:Thank you Bryan! Perfect timing, my wing and harness just arrived at my LDS. I'm half tempted to go up to my pool and tie the tank around me with a rope. Lol. I'm stoked, can't wait to dive it. ImageImage

Rigged it up, now it's time to try it out. Probably going to get a steel 100, my 120s are quite long. ImageImageImage

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Sat May 27, 2017 4:32 pm

CAP2ND1961 wrote:
CAP2ND1961 wrote:Thank you Bryan! Perfect timing, my wing and harness just arrived at my LDS. I'm half tempted to go up to my pool and tie the tank around me with a rope. Lol. I'm stoked, can't wait to dive it. ImageImage

Rigged it up, now it's time to try it out. Probably going to get a steel 100, my 120s are quite long. ImageImageImage

I think I'm going to modify the wing so the material under the reg is pulled down away from cans. I think a piece of 2 or 3 Inch webbing will do the trick. Just enough to make a u and not restrict air flow. Image

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat May 27, 2017 6:11 pm

I just tuck the wing behind the regulator can. The can has a flat cutout area that was specifically intended to provide as much volume as possible for the wing to fit behind it.

The air in the wing will flow freely from one side to the other , but the wing will not be able to inflate in that small area. That in itself is not a problem since you don’t really want extra buoyancy near the regulator on the top of the tank.

Once you tuck the wing behind the regulator, you will be able to raise the back-plate closer to the can. I designed the backplate to be very close to the can.

Long tanks can be nuisance, but you can get used to it and you tend to forget about it after awhile. What is really bad is the big diameter cylinders. They will position the regulator far away from your back. That will increase the perceived cracking effort.

Have fun.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Sat May 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Thank you Luis! Going to pool tomorrow. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sat May 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Having a long tank can assist in dock entries.

https://youtu.be/Y4VAVxYjzGM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Sat May 27, 2017 7:48 pm

OMG I'm dying!!

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”