rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: Question about how vintage gear works

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:43 pm

OP - if you are thinking about a Kraken, please research it...

FWIW - The Kraken has HP and LP ports to allow for the implementation of modern accessories (SPG, LPI, Octo).... in older configurations/regulators, not so much is any of that common.

Regarding tanks, all modern yoke valved tanks will work with the Kraken.... (and DIN if you purchase it that way)

A BC (jacket) will not be optimal with a double hose. Either a horse collar, or a wing (or "naked") The VDH Plate will allow you to utilize a back mounted wing (sandwiched between the plate and the tank), and you attach the tank to the plate the same way your BC and tank went together (tank bands). A horse collar can also be used with this instead of a wing, but they are relatively "scarce". There are also other vintage options that can be used, but your in a grey area of vintage and modern. You need to figure the options. As Ron said, learning is half the "fun".

You are a very new diver (and that is no insult or put down), and I suggest you get a whole bunch more experience in diving, find a mentor for vintage diving, but also research, read, and read again about double hose diving.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:57 pm

socool wrote:Oh ok, so I read a little bit and understand a little better. So from my understandment back in the old days there was no BC, they would just add enough weights to them self to be naturally buoyant. I still don't really understand how you can dive without knowing how much air you have by a SPG or a console ect.. I under stand now how you attack the tank to the metal/plastic thing with straps now. Then with the BC you attack the straps to the metal/plastic thing.

The plate and harness are not that confusing.....You have a metal plate with a special cutout at the top that allows it to fit closely around the curve of the double hose regulator. On this plate is where you straps that hold it on your body are. Slots in the plate are where the bands that run around the cylinder go and the BC bladder is sandwiched between the plate and the cylinder when you put it on and tighten down the bands. When diving with a BC this is a very streamlined way to use it with modern gear and a double hose regulator.
Many Divers used/use a J-valve which closes the air supply when the cylinder reaches approx 300psi....Then you pull a rod that is attached to the valve and it opens up allowing you to use the remaining air to surface. Some vintage valves have ports on them to attach a pressure gauge to and some people use what is called a Banjo fitting which allows you to slip a pressure gauge between the regulator and the cylinder valve.

But I still have these questions, do you still need a custom tank or would any tank work? I see that you need to have your tank lowered so the double hose straps would be sitting on your shoulders a little for best breathing postion.

You do not need any sort of "custom" cylinder period......Most double hose regulators can be used with modern readily available cylinders. Many divers choose to dive with 30, 40, 50, 72 cf cylinders because those are correct to the vintage era of diving. Many folks enjoy finding old cylinders and repairing the valves and re-painting them to look new. There are many double hose regulators you can use with standard 80cf 3000 psi cylinders just like you were using in your classes. There are several that are good for higher cylinder pressures.

My second question is still how would you attach your spg ect.. with that 1st stage?

Once again you could attach a spg to some cylinder valves, use a banjo fitting or use a double hose regulator like the Argonaut Kraken which has high and low pressure ports. There are a lot of ways to accomplish this.

I understand all the buddy breathing/tiliting to the left when recovering it to empty out water ect.. I read/watched old naval manuals/double hose reg skills videos. Those are the only two questions I have still. My instructor/group told me I had great trim/buoyancy in the water and I understand all the skills you can do to test out weight/byoyancy like adding sort burst of air to BC then waiting 2 seconds for it to take affect ect.. It would still be cool to try a double hose setup before I spent 1k+ on a setup, does anyone here know someone from louisiana that does vintage diving that I may could contact to try it out?

I would agree that it is best that you do some more research before buying anything and hopefully we can find someone close to you that can get you started off right in double hose diving......Have some patience and I'm sure it will happen.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

socool
Diver
First Name: Mason

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:15 pm

Bryan wrote:
socool wrote:
Oh ok, so I could buy a Guage on here and plug it in to one of the ports the Argonaut has? I'm going down to panama city/vortex springs next month or the month after that so I could get some extra dives .Maybe I could find someone on here that lives close to vortex that would be willing to let me try it out. If I bought my own scuba tank could I install a J-valve or get my dive shop to install it for me? What would be the best tank to buy/use for double hose diving? could I just orally infalte the BC without hooking it up to tank underwater?

TomcatPC
Skin Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:20 pm

Yes a horse collar BC can be orally inflated. Here is a good video on older BCs and it mentions orally inflating underwater. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLRg_iO_yf8

Not only do one of the Dive Shops I go to put a J-Valve on a steel 72 I brought in for Vis. inspection, he also rebuilt it for me at a good price. Some Dive Shops might not be so open minded to vintage gear as this shop was though?
Mark

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:29 pm

Don't go buying anything yet....Call me tomorrow and I'll help get you started.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:10 am

Mark
My favorite food is halibut - that's a nice one. Good job. I have a rather amusing sea story about me, my knife and a 20 pound halibut that tried to kill me. - ya gotta get them just right LOL

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:33 am

georgeaustin wrote:Mark
My favorite food is halibut - that's a nice one. Good job. I have a rather amusing sea story about me, my knife and a 20 pound halibut that tried to kill me. - ya gotta get them just right LOL
George, many a Halibut have nearly been my undoing. They are a powerful fish. Been drug around a few times by big ones I didn't get with an initial stone shot. Nothing like having one go to line stretch and then proceed to swim circles around you winding you up in your own gun line. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

TomcatPC
Skin Diver

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:53 pm

Some of the Halibut I recall unloading on the dock in Homer, Alaska were downright gigantic!!!
Mark

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Indeed. Sorry to OP for hijacking the thread. My story involves a 20 pounder hitting me in the face with all her force while my knife was imbedded in her side - I lost her, my mask, my snorkel, my best hunting knife and my wits.

socool
Diver
First Name: Mason

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

georgeaustin wrote:Indeed. Sorry to OP for hijacking the thread. My story involves a 20 pounder hitting me in the face with all her force while my knife was imbedded in her side - I lost her, my mask, my snorkel, my best hunting knife and my wits.
Sounds like a good story :)

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:13 am

georgeaustin wrote:Indeed. Sorry to OP for hijacking the thread. My story involves a 20 pounder hitting me in the face with all her force while my knife was imbedded in her side - I lost her, my mask, my snorkel, my best hunting knife and my wits.
Here is a link to a Halibut video I posted a few years ago for the new folks. My apologies to those who have already seen it. Mark viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7028&p=59285&hilit=halibut#p59267
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

captain
Plank Owner

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:44 pm

Th originator of this thread is 16 years old and just recently certified with less than 10 open water dives and wanted to try a double hose.. After discussions with him and one of his instructors it was decided that perhaps he needed a bit more experience before venturing into vintage diving. His name is Mason and I encouraged him to keep reading the forum while gaining experience. We may have another vintage diver in the future.
Captain

Jaypee
Skin Diver
First Name: JP

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:21 am

Great to see a young adult taking interest in all aspects of diving even though he's just starting out. Plenty of adventures to come! Mason, keep up that thirst for knowledge and you'll go far. Enthusiasm helps too :lol:

8dust
Master Diver

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:44 pm

nicely handled, Tom. Thanks for shepherding him a bit. :)
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”