kodo65
First Name: Peter

Kraken as a uw-photographers "ultimate" travel rig

Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:16 am

Hi!

I'm an aspiring uw video/photographer who's currently planning a 3-4 months trip to Asia and Australia in beginning 2017. I've beginning to look at various solutions to the "bubble interference" introduced by classic OC gear. I've considered going the daaaaaaaark :) RB-route but having had some discussions with RB-divers I feel a little reluctant to go that route - not because I don't want to, I probably will in the future, BUT I realise that I WILL run into logistic issues when diving remote destinations in terms of scrubber material and O2 supply. In one of the forums an RB-diver mentioned the Argonaut Kraken and having read about it on this site and watched some videos it starts to make sense to me. I don't find the air bubbles escaping from the back as intrusive as the ones appearing in front as with ordinary OC gear - furthermore I think it is a piece of art and I really appreciate good workmanship and it is clear to me that the Kraken is not a massproduced "mumbo jumbo"- it is beautiful in it's vintage styling!

Now, having given you a brief background of what I'm looking for - COULD the Kraken be the way to go? Is it a HUGE difference in terms of WOB compared to traditional OC gear?

Many thanks in advance and happy and safe diving to you all:)

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Kraken as a uw-photographers "ultimate" travel rig

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:42 am

Welcome to the board.
Like any reg with double hoses, diving a Kraken is a little different than a single hose reg but the WOB is on par with most modern regs . They do "feel" different but not bad, just different, I prefer the feeling. I introduce a lot of divers to DH regs and it is not uncommon for new DH divers to not "like" the feeling until they become accustom to it. Most then prefer it to a single hose reg. To get the best out of them, the reg MUST be properly positioned on your body, unlike a single hose reg. The cans (round black part on the Kraken) must be kept close to the body and mounted lower than you may normally install your reg. It will work in any position (supply you air), it just will not preform to it's potential if not worn properly. Trying to use it with a Jacket type BC does not work will as it tends to allow the tank and reg to float up off the body, taking the reg with it.
I do a lot of UW photography and find fish do not seem to be as wary of the DH reg, I think keeping to bubbles farther away and blocked by your head helps.
I would suggest you spend a good bit of time in a controlled dive (pool is fine) getting use to the reg and if you are new to photography, it's the perfect time to learn your camera. You can practice buoyancy, get use to the reg and your camera a the same time. This video may help you get the idea, this was shot a few years ago while prototype testing the Kraken. I am in about 30ft (10 M) of water, this is the kind of control you need for photography, esp if you like macro and supermacro, which is what I prefer. https://vimeo.com/89454763 (video by Simonbeans)
Herman

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:25 am

Welcome!

For design function, cost, as well as reliability, you can't do better than go with a Kraken. With regards to UW photography, I can tell you that UW fauna react far less to the breathing effort when trying to get that close in shot than with a single hose, as you have probably already found out. I have put this to the test here in the Red Sea on several occasions with companions that are wearing single hose rigs and they always are amazed how close to a subject I can get, especially if the subject is directly to my front.

Bubbles to the rear and out of the way of a shot aside, the subjects such as fish, crustaceans, turtles or octopods definitely display less readiness to bolt due to NO FRONTAL CONCUSSIVE EXHAUST SHOCK, as you would have with a single hose rig. When I dive a single hose rig, I can literally see the fish "cringe" when I exhale. The DH rig relieves 90% of this "shock cringing" in my experience.

The Kraken is worth the price and serviceability in remote areas is far less traumatic in most cases than with some single hose rigs. If you go this route, get more knowledge from the experts here on this site. Bryan, Luis, Herman, the Captain, Solanda, Rob, etc., are a treasure trove of information. As you will be traveling to remote areas, I suggest that you become familiar with regulator maintenance and repair for what ever rig you eventually end up using, as well as bring a minimal tool kit and spare parts for your venture. By this I mean more than just a "save a dive" kit" available at any dive shop.

I am glad that you are looking into this area of modern diving equipment and I am happy that you've come to THE place for information.

Russ
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:11 pm

kodo65 wrote:Hi!

I'm an aspiring uw video/photographer who's currently planning a 3-4 months trip to Asia and Australia in beginning 2017. I've beginning to look at various solutions to the "bubble interference" introduced by classic OC gear. I've considered going the daaaaaaaark :) RB-route but having had some discussions with RB-divers I feel a little reluctant to go that route - not because I don't want to, I probably will in the future, BUT I realise that I WILL run into logistic issues when diving remote destinations in terms of scrubber material and O2 supply. In one of the forums an RB-diver mentioned the Argonaut Kraken and having read about it on this site and watched some videos it starts to make sense to me. I don't find the air bubbles escaping from the back as intrusive as the ones appearing in front as with ordinary OC gear - furthermore I think it is a piece of art and I really appreciate good workmanship and it is clear to me that the Kraken is not a massproduced "mumbo jumbo"- it is beautiful in it's vintage styling!

Now, having given you a brief background of what I'm looking for - COULD the Kraken be the way to go? Is it a HUGE difference in terms of WOB compared to traditional OC gear?

Many thanks in advance and happy and safe diving to you all:)
Not to get too far off topic but you will want to also consider these when comparing the 2 very different set ups you mention:

- cost of training, for a rebreather you are looking at $2K plus consumables (you have mentioned those)
- cost of equipment, a CCR will cost you between $5-$10k on average
- cost of annual maintenance or a course to learn to do it yourself from the manufacturer
- and probably the most important, a consistent use of the equipment and techniques to stay current- these are not don-n-go units.

So as I say to anyone "thinking" about getting into rebreathers, this is a very heavy investment both in terms of $$, skill-set and time. Unless you are going to use one on a very regular basis or have a very good reason to get into one, they just aren't worth the time and expense, period.

Go with a double hoser and then progress into a rebreather if you absolutely have to, rebreathers aren't vanity dive gear setups and people who call them toys need to wake up- they can kill you if you become complacent, and have done so in the past. Do a lot of research (there are a lot of really bad designs floating around the interweb so be careful) and ask a lot of questions. Become proficient on the idea of diving in a constant PO2 environment and what that means, it is not the same as diving open circuit.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:23 am

:D If you haven't already seen this, here is the YouTube link to Jonathan Birds video on why he uses a double hose reg.

https://youtu.be/SsWb9UaRQKw
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Pedro
Skin Diver
First Name: Pedro

Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:21 am

As you can see, quite a few photographers enjoying their Krakens.

There is a parallel discussion about their use for photography here:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=8597

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”