Herman
VDH Moderator

Installing Hoses on a Kraken or other DH regs

Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:22 pm

It occured to me that there are likely new to DH diving members that are getting their new Argonaut Krakens and are not sure just how to install and align the hoses correctly. While you can dive with the hoses badly aligned, any DH reg is much more comfortable if the hoses are correctly aligned. I am using a Kracken as the example but the same proceedure works for any DH reg and any mouthpiece. The procedure I am about to show was taught to me by member Greg Barlowe.

Hoses are prone to have a slight set or curve in them, it's best not to fight it but rather use it to your advantage. Drop the hoses on to a flat surface and allow them to orient themselves to the position they prefer. Older hoses are more prone to have a natural curve. As you can see,both of these hoses have a slight curve to them and the hose on the right has more curve than the left one. These are new silicone hoses.
IMG_0040hose.jpg
Once you determine the curve of the hoses (if any) lay them side by side and install the mouthpiece so it is in the upright position with the the bite tabs horizonal and level with the table. The hoses should take on a slight U shape. Slide the hoses straight on the mouthpiece keeping the natural curve as shown. This position is very close to the right orientation for most divers, you may find you prefer it a little tilted one way or the other but use it as a starting point. The mouthpiece should rest level with the table. Install your clamp of choice.
IMG_0046hose.jpg
IMG_0047hose.jpg
Next place the regulator on the table face down and without rotating the hoses, slide them on to the correct horns and install your hose clamp of choice. I use wire ties on the can ends since I have them available but I plan to replace them with the new thumb screws the Kracken come with.
IMG_0048hose.jpg
IMG_0049hose.jpg
There you have it, simple, easy and it will work with any mouthpiece or regulator I know of.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Herman

monterey1970
Diver
First Name: Andy

Re: Installing Hoses on a Kraken or other DH regs

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:55 pm

Thanks for the clarification. My main question was whether I should connect the hoses to the horns with the plastic wire ties or the thumb screws (since both were provided in the box). My understanding from the above posting is you can use whichever one you prefer.

-Andy

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:36 pm

The cobra head ties were provided as spares for the mouthpiece.
Hose clamps with thumbscrews were intended for use on the horns.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

DAAquamaster
Skin Diver
First Name: Larry

Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:03 am

I use a different method.

Since the mouthpiece is oriented 90 degrees to can, it can be placed in that same orientation on the hose relative to the horn. That's very handy if you've got hoses with mold lines on them. The thing to remember is that the line on the BOTTOM of the horn goes to the FRONT of the mouthpiece.

Once you've got them in place, you can invert the regulator and hold the mouthpiece in the approximate position it would be in relative to the can when in use, with gravity putting the loop in the hose (it works better just holding it, but I don't have three hands).

It gets you to exactly the same place as Herman's method, just using the mold lines on the hoses:

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:53 pm

I was taught the method DA described, the seam on the bottom of the horn goes to the front of the mouthpiece (and was to align with the horizontal mold line on the mouthpieces--which does not apply to the DSV since it has not a horizontal mold line). Nem

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:46 pm

You can use this same procedure with the DSV, but make sure that the DSV is open when aligning the hoses.

I know this is probably very obvious to most, but I already know of someone that was not paying attention when aligning the rotation of the hoses and they aligned the hoses with the DSV in the closed position, and went diving. When they open the DSV to dive, the hose rotation (90degree rotation) made the mouthpiece very uncomfortable.

In this case it was because the diver didn’t give it any thought that the DSV has to be open when aligning the hoses. The DSV just happen to be closed and he didn't check. He will not do that same mistake again.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

CrabbyJim
Diver

Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:26 am

In a related matter, what is the procedure for orienting the horns on the can for a USD regulator like the RAM? It's easy on a Kraken or Dacor because the to can is fastened with screws. When I take a USD can apart, I take a before picture and mark the can in crayon. What is the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Crabby

captain
Plank Owner

Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:59 am

CrabbyJim wrote:In a related matter, what is the procedure for orienting the horns on the can for a USD regulator like the RAM? It's easy on a Kraken or Dacor because the to can is fastened with screws. When I take a USD can apart, I take a before picture and mark the can in crayon. What is the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Crabby
The horns form a 120 degree angle, or with a square label use the label as a guide so the right top corner is in the same relationship to the exhaust horn as the left corner is to the inhalation horn.
Captain

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:14 pm

I was always taught to split the fourth and fifth holes to the horn.

Which just happens to be about 120 degrees. Oh, that is an all original heavy yoke RAM, NOS :mrgreen: .

Nem

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”