Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Customer Question for the Scubapro guys

Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:15 am

Hello Brian,

I'm a bit confused as to the difference between an early Scubapro MK2 (not the MK2 Plus!) and the MK3. I've got the old schematics but don't see any difference. I know for sure the MK2 has 2 LP ports, but can't see on the schematics if the MK3 has 2 or 3 LP ports Only the cap seems a bit rounder but the internals look the same to me. As you sell service kits maybe you would know the difference, I would greatly appreciate if you could enlighten me. I can send you a picture of the schematics if you reply with your email address. Also, what would be the cost of sending service kits for the MK2/3 to the Netherlands? Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Willem Heinen, The Netherlands

I don't know the exact answer you are looking for.....But there are several guys on the VDH website forum who are very knowledgeable in all things Scubapro and I'm sure they will know the answer.
Shipping cost is automatically calculated when you check out of the website store. I ship globally 3 times per week.
You can send schematics to this E-mail address.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Customer Question for the Scubapro guys

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:55 pm

I am not really familiar with the very early (1960’s) Mk-3, but they were very short lived.

The 1970’s Mk-3 had the rounded piston cap. The piston head on the Mk-3 is much smaller than the Mk-2 piston.

The numbers of LP ports on both (the Mk-2 and the Mk-3) were the same in the 1970’s. The main body was the same (old part # 102-7). The only difference was the piston and the piston cap.

Here is a diagram for the Mk-2

Here is a diagram for the Mk-3

Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Willem
First Name: Willem

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:39 pm

Thanks Luis for your input. In the (downloadable) 1977 Scubapro Catalogue here there 's also some clarification I saw. Also your diagram from the MK2 1977 differ a bit from the 1974 ones I have. Missing in the 1974 diagram are the two washers nr 9, part number 102-10, so that must be a an upgrade since then.
I've got one which was in the MK2 with the following dimensions:
Outer diameter 15.2 mm / 0.011"
Inner diameter 9.2 mm / 0.598"
Thickness .28 mm / 0.011"
I wonder if they are still available.
Willem

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:08 pm

Those shims were added to adjust the IP.

The Mk-2 regulator is still in production. The new Mk-2 has a different yoke nut, but I am fairly sure that the piston size is the same.

The new Mk-2 still uses the shims. I think they actually have two different thicknesses to adjust the IP, but I am not certain about that. You can down load the diagram of the new Mk-2 to get the part numbers.

I don’t know if Bryan can get you the shims, but a Scubapro dealer should be able to get them. The issue is if they would sell them to you.

If you can’t get them, you can always get shims from McMaster Carr that has similar dimensions. This McMaster Carr part number 98090A140 is for a shim that is 0.010 thick, ID = 0.375 in, OD = 0.625 inch.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Willem
First Name: Willem

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:40 pm

The washers also protect the brass body from scratching by the spring. I'm restoring this old MK2 to a working condition so it's usable again. When done I will see if additional washers are necessary for the correct IP. I'm getting a few more of these regs so putting together a list of things needed and where to get them is the first thing to do :)
Willem

Return to “Vintage Scubapro Regulators”