What would you purchase with your new plate.....Choose all that apply please

Stainless bands
24%
Nylon bands
25%
Webbing with buckles and sliders
39%
No Thanks I have all that stuff...Just need the new plate.
12%

Total votes: 67
Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

New Backplate Question

Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:51 am

Backplate is going to be sold A La Carte to accomodate stuff you guys may already have. I can get a great price on some of the associated items if I order in bulk. Use the poll to let me know what you would buy when you order your plate so I have an idea of how much of each item to order.

I can get the extremely nice, heavy duty Highland brand made by XS in stainless for $45.00 a pair to you.
Or I can get you a pair of standard cam bands for $25.00
New webbing with buckles and sliders should run about $20.00 all hardware will be stainless.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

MK15diver
Vintage Diver

Re: New Backplate Question

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:38 pm

I personally like the Highland bands myself. It's a bit more technical but still alows you to stay recreational as well. They are just better made.
Someone told me that diving a double hose reg will kill me. I had no idea these things were dangerous.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:09 pm

Maybe it's just me but I never saw the need for the heavy tank bands. If I intend to travel with the BP, the ligher bands will save me a little weight. If they are like the Scubapro ones, them things bite and there is no half tight position like you can with standard bands.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:30 pm

The Scubapro style buckles do bite a bit! The Highland bands don't do that as they skip the sharp points that the other ones have.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bob3
Diver

Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:25 pm

Got a drawing someplace of the new plate?

The Nemrod setup I got out of a Sears & Roebuck catalog back in the mid-'60s came with an aluminum backplate; it used hose clamps to hold the tank.

I always liked the stamped Sportsways with narrow orange straps & D-ring buckles though, it held things snug even when the "washing machine".
Your Friendly Northern California Viking/Poseidon Drysuit Dealer

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Of course there is a drawing.....Hard to get a machine shop to work from thoughts alone...

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:35 pm

I'm susposed to be using drawings? :shock:
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:09 am

I had some questions about the bands.....Here they are from the Catalog page. Updated to show the rubber pads that come with the new stainless hardware bands. Also a link to a PDF on the proper way to thread them. The Highland line of stuff is really nice and there are several items I'm going to try and bring to VDH in the next couple of months...Not 100% vintage but excellent quality and reasonable prices.

http://www.xsscuba.com/downloads/tank_b ... iagram.pdf

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:03 pm

I put the standard cam bands on all my backplates when I was working on the SeaLife - We did about 350 in a summer, and the only thing that ever wore out was the velcro in the end. As far as ease of use, switching between tank sizes or taking them off the plate, the standard cam band is hard to beat. I might buy the highland, but I'm going to want to see it in action before I spend the money. I love my vintage gear, but I need function as much as anything else.

Also Bryan, I have a roll of nylon webbing, but eventually I'll need more and if you have it at VDH, this is where I'll buy it. Maybe not vintage, but the buckles and odds and ends will always sell since we're always going to use that stuff.

BTW - I can't wait to order a backplate!!!!
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:25 pm

Seacraft's original method of securing the tank to the back plate was by 4 large SS hose clamps-SDM

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:06 am

Thank you Sam for the excellent background information. It's good to know we are carrying on a tradition with the updated design. We need to be sure and toast your friend when we all get together again.

Order has been placed with the machine shop, XS Scuba, Trident and U-Line boxes. I expect to be ready to ship by Dec 15th-16th.

When you order on line you will be able to customize your plate.
Choice of bands, webbing by the foot, buckles in nylon or stainless, sliders in nylon or stainless. If there are other support items I should have on hand please let me know.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:42 am

Just in case someone wants to go a bit more vintage, I do have 2" natural color cotton webbing @$.74/foot plus shipping. The material can be dyed any color. It will work well with the slidders and buckles that VDH will have in the store soon. I do NOT have those items.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:07 pm

simonbeans wrote:Just in case someone wants to go a bit more vintage, I do have 2" natural color cotton webbing @$.74/foot plus shipping. The material can be dyed any color. It will work well with the slidders and buckles that VDH will have in the store soon. I do NOT have those items.

I have built several custom harnesses from Simonbeans' webbing and supplies, and I love the vintage look of the cotton webbing. Thanks Allan for making that stuff available!
The older I get the better I was.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:50 am

I just hope Allan doesn't run out of the that cotton webbing like he has before. That stuff is hard to find even for resourceful Allan.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:31 pm

Since it's Christmas time I went ahead and put all the plate/harness stuff in the store. My tracking number says bands and everything else will be here Tuesday and I spoke with the Machinist and he's cutting the plates Monday. So feel free to order now and I'll have the boxes ready to ship the day the plates arrive and I'm sure it will be there in time for Christmas.
I only charged shipping weight on the plate and bands...I zeroed out everything else. Since I had to buy a special box for the plate they will come to you via USPS or FedEx depending on rate and delivery time.

Please E-mail me if you have questions.

Return to “Modern Gear. Buy, Sell, Trade”