antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

TEKNA KNIFE SHEATH - NOS

Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:41 pm

Tekna Knives... some divers loved them, others not so much. The blades took some care to prevent corrosion damage, and the sheaths were sometimes broken from careless handling. I still have a couple of the dive knives and a few of their other blades around, and plan to keep them.

I have an extra sheath available for the dive knife (new old stock) if you were one of those that managed to break yours and don't know what to do with the knife: $20 +postage.
Tekna Knife Sheath.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The older I get the better I was.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: TEKNA KNIFE SHEATH - NOS

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:33 am

I always thought those knives were really cool, but never had the financial means in that era to afford one.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:19 am

Yes, they were cool, and still are. I’ll see if I have an extra one stashed away somewhere. I just want to keep two. One with regular SS blade and one with black.

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:35 pm

antique diver wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:19 am
Yes, they were cool, and still are. I’ll see if I have an extra one stashed away somewhere. I just want to keep two. One with regular SS blade and one with black.
I was unable to find that elusive extra Tekna Knife, but did find a New Old Stock three gauge Tekna Console. Also have what appears to be an unused Tekna regulator attached to it. Those are available individually or as a set if anyone is interested.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:32 pm

TEKAN....So many great ideas that seemed to hit the market just before they were ready for prime time. A few more months of R&D and they might have realized a few things.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:51 pm

Bryan wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:32 pm
TEKAN....So many great ideas that seemed to hit the market just before they were ready for prime time. A few more months of R&D and they might have realized a few things.
In my recollection the gauges suffered from flooding at an above-average industry rate (second only to Farallon). They did have some innovative ideas. Maybe the engineering designs were originally sound, then went out for production to the WRONG MANUFACTURER that gave the lowest bid. :? Too bad for the end consumers, for those of us who sold them, and too bad for the company.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:49 pm

I had one of those three-gauge Tekna consoles at one point. Compass flooded first time I used it. Depth gauge and pressure gauge both got water in them after about 10 dives. Took it back, the shop gave me a new console, and the same thing happened again over the next 10 dives. Shop refused to replace or send in the second one. I called Tekna and was told all returns had to be done through an authorized Tekna Dealer. I did some leg work, found out the home address of one of the VP's of Tekna and mailed the damn thing to his house with a snarky note saying to fix it. About 6 months later I get a brand new Tekna console in the mail which flooded on dive #2. :)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:48 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:49 pm
I had one of those three-gauge Tekna consoles at one point. Compass flooded first time I used it. Depth gauge and pressure gauge both got water in them after about 10 dives. Took it back, the shop gave me a new console, and the same thing happened again over the next 10 dives. Shop refused to replace or send in the second one. I called Tekna and was told all returns had to be done through an authorized Tekna Dealer. I did some leg work, found out the home address of one of the VP's of Tekna and mailed the damn thing to his house with a snarky note saying to fix it. About 6 months later I get a brand new Tekna console in the mail which flooded on dive #2. :)
That pretty well sums up our luck with some Tekna products. But in all fairness I must admit that the knives didn't flood... (they just rusted).

Return to “Modern Gear. Buy, Sell, Trade”