ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Trivia question.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:32 pm

rhwestfall wrote:Do I really have to spell it out? :shock:

If you are referring to me being similar to a hoofed mammal of the horse family with a braying call, typically smaller than a horse and with longer ears, then I respectfully agree that metaphor fits me perfectly and I take no offense. I was sitting there on the boat after getting into my rig and buckling the straps. I grabbed the end of a LP inflator hose that was laying next to me and snaking behind me somewhere. I plugged it into the drysuit port and tried to inflate it. Surprise, surprise, no air. That is when I discovered the hose was not connected to my regulator. That is also when another realization hit me that formed the basis of my initial question. PUT ANOTHER WAY, WHY WOULDN’T MY REGULATOR WORK FOR MY INTENDED PURPOSE?

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:40 pm

Because there is no LP port on that regulator (my first answer), and you would likely then need a pony bottle (my second answer) to utilize your DS.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:52 pm

rhwestfall wrote:Be sure there is no LP port on that regulator (my first answer), and you would likely then need a pony bottle (my second answer) to utilize your DS.
Your getting there! Why would there be no low pressure port?
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:56 pm

R&D hadn't figured out it out yet..
Bob

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:03 pm

rhwestfall wrote:R&D hadn't figured out it out yet..
Er, no. At that time LP ports (Hookah ports) were all the rage. Keep thinking!

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:11 pm

Perhaps, as NASA concluded, a single stage just isn't doing to cut it....
Bob

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:35 pm

Single Stage regulators have no LOW pressure side...Other than the ambient air going down the intake hose...
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:40 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
rhwestfall wrote:R&D hadn't figured out it out yet..
Er, no. At that time LP ports (Hookah ports) were all the rage. Keep thinking!
May have been the rage, but there wasn't one on that regulator.....
Bob

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:58 pm

Tuesday, February 24, 2015........
Bob

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:13 pm

Bryan (albeit with some knowledge of regulator workings :D ) has elucidated the correct answer. The drysuit could not be inflated via a single stage Mistral regulator because there is no intermediate pressure chamber to run a low pressure port off of. You go from tank pressure to ambient pressure in a single stage. Lesson learned. Class dismissed. Mark

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:29 pm

Old Man from Scene 24: Stop! WHAT is your name?
King Arthur: It is Arthur, King of the Britons!
Old Man from Scene 24: WHAT is your quest?
King Arthur: To seek the Holy Grail!
Old Man from Scene 24: WHAT is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
King Arthur: What do you mean? African or European swallow?
Old Man from Scene 24: I, I don't know that! *gets pulled to the sky and thrown down the Gorge of Eternal Peril*
Sir Bedevere: How do you know so much about swallows?
King Arthur: Well, you have to know these things when you're king, y'know.
Bob

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:59 pm

Okay. Not that I am not banished to the last row.... The Mistral, DivAir, Stream Air, Healthways Gold label and deluxe and the equivalent Voit regulators are Single stage regs as was eluded to. The do not have an intermediate stage with ports for you to access to run low pressure accessories. They take high pressure air from the tank and take it to ambient for you to breath. Now you "could" equalize your dry suit by putting the lp hose connected to your dry suit in your mouth and blowing when pushing the button to inflate. That would give you a cold blast of water that had leaked into the hose which would wake you up. Early drysuits had an oral inflator similar to that on a BC to accomplish this feat. For me, I sling a pony and run an inflator hose from it to the drysuit. I also have a second stage on it just because. I really enjoy diving single stage double hose regs. In dry suit country where I live, slinging a pony just is not an option. Unless of course your into freezing an or suit squeeze! lol So ends the lesson. :wink:

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:57 pm

swimjim wrote: Early drysuits had an oral inflator similar to that on a BC to accomplish this feat.
Jim, here are a couple of pics of me in my old SAS Z90 drysuit with the manual inflator. These were taken at San Nicholas Island here in So. Cal back in the late 80's/early 90's (I think - its kinda all a blur now). Mark
San Nicholas Is. 1.jpg
San Nicholas Is. 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:28 am

Manual dry suit inflators were common on Lake Michigan when I started diving back in the 70's. I've never used one personally. I even went right to the "Power" inflator on my U.S. Divers yellow horse collar back in a day.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:50 am

Me in a SAS/Z90 drysuit helping a student into the same ...83 I think
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”