swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: New DSV Mouthpiece Coming soon!

Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:27 pm

Any color you want as long as it is black. The pieces in the picture have a gold tinge to them because of the lighting. They are in fact black...............

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:12 pm

A bit of an update......This is the sample I put in the sun during the day and in the pool at night all last week. Tried it again today and it's working great. On to the salt bath.......Luis is diving a couple of them in the Philippines this week. Finally making real progress!
20160626_122756.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:28 pm

It looked gold or brassy colored to me also in that last photo.
Ehowe and I must be drinking the same stuff.
The older I get the better I was.

Wetlens
First Name: Frank

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:43 pm

I have one of these mouthpieces on order, along with some of the hose weights. We'll be in the Bahamas for 16 days of diving (3-5 dives per day) between August 6th and 28th. I love to "test" out one of the DSV mouthpieces on my Kraken :D :D :D :D :D

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:24 pm

I appreciate the offer but I think we have it under control for now. Hopefully we will be able to wrap it up soon and get it out to everyone that has been waiting so patiently for them. ......I will update here as soon as more news is available.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:35 pm

Dr Ed and Luis diving in the Philippines this week testing out the DSV's on the AMAZING ARGONAUT KRAKEN!
Dr. Ed and Luis.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:25 am

Haven't heard much of Ed in recent months and I figured he was busy with medical work. Glad to see he's in the water and I must say, the Phillipines is on my bucket list. I would love to spend a few weeks diving and checking out the history.

:D
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:16 pm

Here is an update from Luis in the Philippines.

I am really enjoying the prototypes that I have been diving. They are extremely helpful over here because we ditch out tanks/ dive kits in the water and pass them to the boat crew. Having a closing DSV is extremely helpful and elegant.

The mouthpiece byte with the proper hose rotations is also extremely comfortable. So far I have done 21 dives and I have zero mouth discomfort. I will report again after the next 20+ dives.

Eduardo really enjoyed borrowing my spare Argonaut with the DSV. He is sold in the performance improvements from his Phoenix.

More later.

And for your viewing pleasure the DSV's below I received yesterday and I believe they are right on the $$$$$$. Sending them out to Herman and Luis for evaluation but I think we got it right this time. :D :D
I'll need wait till Luis returns and gives his final Ok and then I can approve production.....UPDATES AS I GET THEM!
20160630_114955.jpg
20160630_114947.jpg

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:33 pm

and very subtly, a happy dance commences.....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:58 pm

Smokin' !

Pedro
Skin Diver
First Name: Pedro

Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:20 pm

Bryan wrote:Here is an update from Luis in the Philippines.

I am really enjoying the prototypes that I have been diving. They are extremely helpful over here because we ditch out tanks/ dive kits in the water and pass them to the boat crew. Having a closing DSV is extremely helpful and elegant.

The mouthpiece byte with the proper hose rotations is also extremely comfortable. So far I have done 21 dives and I have zero mouth discomfort. I will report again after the next 20+ dives.

Eduardo really enjoyed borrowing my spare Argonaut with the DSV. He is sold in the performance improvements from his Phoenix.

More later.

And for your viewing pleasure the DSV's below I received yesterday and I believe they are right on the $$$$$$. Sending them out to Herman and Luis for evaluation but I think we got it right this time. :D :D
I'll need wait till Luis returns and gives his final Ok and then I can approve production.....UPDATES AS I GET THEM!
20160630_114955.jpg
20160630_114947.jpg
That's great news, happy to see all the hard work you guys have put into it is paying out. Can't wait to give it a try!

couv
Master Diver

Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:39 pm

....and some say Christmas only comes once a year. I feel like a kid expecting his first BB gun. :!:

Thanks for the update and hard work guys.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:31 am

I got a sample from Bryan just in time to get it wet this weekend. He sent it to me dissembled, I wanted to look it over apart and experience putting it together.
It looks very good, the fit and finish are good and it goes together easily. Bryan will ship them assembled but they will need to be disassembled, cleaned and new orings installed from time to time so ease of maintenance is important. It operates smoothly with just the right amount of tension. On land test were good, it seals well with no leaks. In the water it performs well, closed there were no free flows ..and I tried to make it free flow...the clearing feature works well and it breaths well underwater. The one issue I did have was with the mouthpiece....having dove DH regs pretty much exclusively for the last 5 or so years....... as I went to put it together I realized I did not have a new spare mouthpiece...had to "borrow" one from another reg. :) If you order one, order some mouthpieces too.
Back home I realized another benefit that no one has mentioned. As part of my cleaning routine , I remove the hoses and mouthpiece from my regs as an assembly to rinse and dry them after a day of diving . Normally I have to hold my finger over the mouthpiece hole to fill the hoses with warm water to make sure I get the entire insides flushed out, somewhat of a 3 handed operation. With the DSV, all I had to do was close the mouthpiece and I can fill the entire hose loop easily.

I really think you guys are going to love the mouthpiece. Talking with another DH diver who happened to be at the quarry, after looking at it, he wants several .
Herman

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:19 pm

rhwestfall wrote:and very subtly, a happy dance commences.....
Amen!!!
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:46 pm

We got back from the Philippines last Sunday. I did 46 dives in 11 days. The diving was fantastic.

Mouthpiece comfort:

During all 46 dives I used the same Argonaut with the newest sample of the DSV mouthpiece and worked great! After one simple hose rotation adjustment the comfort level was superior to any previous DH mouthpiece I have ever used. I am used my favorite MP bite, but the balanced was also outstanding (after the minor adjustment). The mouth piece byte selection is now a personal choice with this new DSV.

With this number of consecutive dives using a vintage style mouthpiece I would always get a minor sore inside my lower lip. I didn’t feel even the slightest indication of any type sore.

Flow performance:

The flow diverter is also exceeding my expectations. With the flow diverter in place I can get the full advantage of the maximum venturi flow. As originally designed and intended, I can increase the venturi flow by blocking the side bleed air port in the second stage HPR body. This increases the venturi and the diverter flow takes full advantage of this flow by directing the air into the divers mouth.

Note: If the regulator is adjusted for maximum venturi flow, the DSV with the flow diverter is required or an excessive amount of air will go out the exhaust during normal inhalation.

Properly adjusted, the Argonaut has better venturi flow than all previous DH regulators (including a Phoenix with the HPR), but the only way to take full advantage of it's maximum performance is with the DSV mouth piece and the flow diverter.

Closing feature:

The sealing and friction O-rings provided the perfect amount of friction to hold the mouthpiece in place, but it allowed a single hand opening or closing ability while the mouth piece is in the divers mouth. It is easy to hole the mouth piece in your mouth and rotate the closing valve with one hand.

The seals are perfectly air and water tight. After 46 consecutive dives, there was not a single drop of water in the intake hose or inside the regulator cans.

With the mouthpiece closed, the diver can purge the small amount of water in the byte tube. There is a small channel and purge hole that seals when the mouthpiece is opened.

DSV convenience:

In the Philippines we were doing most of the dives from small boats. The preference was to remove our dive kits in the water and the dive crew would lift it out of the water. Having a DSV made it very elegant for me to remove the mouthpiece out of my mouth at any time without any free-flow. It became totally second nature to close the DSV every time before I removed the MP out of my mouth.

I could lay on my back and talk to anyone or I could take of my kit, inflate my wing and relax while laying on top of my dive kit while waiting for the rest of the divers to get on the boat.

Take a look at the pictures below.

Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”