Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: New DSV Mouthpiece Coming soon!

Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:20 am

It is kicking my ass right now.....Not that I don't need kicking but I'd rather it be due to my sparkling personality as opposed to a new product :lol:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Dave2
Lung Diver
First Name: David

Thu May 19, 2016 7:16 pm

Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri May 20, 2016 8:57 am

I hope to have a positive update late next week. Keep your fingers crossed......
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

couv
Master Diver

Tue May 31, 2016 4:49 pm

Well, my fingers have been crossed and it is late next week. :D
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Tue May 31, 2016 6:45 pm

As you know, I have 3 pieces of stunning work (done very recently by you) waiting for a DSV to make them complete.... :P
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Tue May 31, 2016 8:26 pm

rhwestfall wrote:As you know, I have 3 pieces of stunning work (done very recently by you) waiting for a DSV to make them complete.... :P
Patience! Bryan will not release anything until it is right. End of story. It will be worth the wait though. Hang tight! :wink:

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:56 am

I'm not avoiding the subject but I don't have any good news at this moment. If I don't receive working samples within the 12 day deadline I have given them then it will be down to lawyers, guns and money so to speak. I am doing everything I can to avoid going this route but my back is against the wall and I'm left with few options and even less patience. I will update you all here as soon as I get news or any real info to share. Hopefully I will be posting pictures of APPROVED sample parts and then production can run.

couv
Master Diver

Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:15 pm

swimjim wrote:
rhwestfall wrote:As you know, I have 3 pieces of stunning work (done very recently by you) waiting for a DSV to make them complete.... :P
Patience! Bryan will not release anything until it is right. End of story. It will be worth the wait though. Hang tight! :wink:
We know, but it's fun to yank the big guy's chain every now and then. :twisted:
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

bbain
Vintage Diver

Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:04 am

Bryan wrote:I'm not avoiding the subject but I don't have any good news at this moment. If I don't receive working samples within the 12 day deadline I have given them then it will be down to lawyers, guns and money so to speak. I am doing everything I can to avoid going this route but my back is against the wall and I'm left with few options and even less patience. I will update you all here as soon as I get news or any real info to share. Hopefully I will be posting pictures of APPROVED sample parts and then production can run.
Wow. Haven't really been following this recently since Ginny's surgeries and other family commitments have pretty much precluded diving until at least October at the earliest (no point waiting for the DSV with bated breath when I wouldn't be able to use it anyway). I hope things don't go down the lawyer route. As a lawyer I can say that route sucks more often that not. Good luck.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:22 am

Latest sample DSV mouthpiece. Luis is taking it on an extended diving trip next week and will follow up with details when he can. We are making progress :D
dsv3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:45 am

Looking good! Some people don't really understand how hard it is to create a good DSV. When you think about it, you are attempting to emplace a water tight shut off valve into an air flow path that cannot tolerate water coming into said pathway whether the valve is in the open or shut position. The valve needs to seal at the point of shut off to stop free flow AND also must have watertight integrity at its activation point or mechanism (a lever or button, etc.) All of this in a rather small package to boot. My hat is off to all of you. It will be finished when it is finished. Thanks Folks.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:15 am

The design has not been the problem. I designed this over a year ago and the 3D printed models have been working fine, until just recently (the 3D material is not as smooth and I was starting to see some leaks). The design is intentionally very simple (this will add to its reliability once the molding is correct).

I received (from Bryan) some samples from this latest molded and functionally we are so close, but there are still some “relatively” small issues. With a de-burring tool and a dental pick I was able to correct some of the O-ring chamfer compression ramps and my sample is working great.

In the near future I have a dive trip and I will be diving these samples. I was planning on taking a back-up mouthpiece just in case, but this looks good enough that I will not need it.

Note: I am evaluating the functional issues. There are also some small cosmetic issues on the outside of the molded part that need to be corrected.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:04 pm

I went back and forth with Luis for a long time as I wanted to stick with the DRAGER DSV design because it was so simple and had been in use for so long. As Luis pointed out there were a few things about the DRAGER design that were not so great, paramount being the angle of the mouthpiece while in use. The DRAGER comes straight out just like the US Divers original double hose mouthpiece and puts much more strain on the teeth and jaw muscles when using it. I immediately gave up the DRAGER style design idea after diving with one for a week in Bonaire....OUCH.

The manufacturing process has been strained since day one but I do not have an real answer as to why. The manufacture I chose was given 3D files and a very detailed description with pictures and dimensions as to what was required for the project and ample time to ask questions before they gave me a price to make it.....
What I believe occurred is they tried to make all the parts by molding. This was evident by the first sample pieces. If they could make all the parts by molding the process would be fast and much more profitable for them.
After the critique of the first samples we established that secondary machining steps would be required to get it right. The maufacturer machined the wagon wheel grooves and that was about it. The second sample parts had fantastic wagon wheel and the diverter was good but the rest was garbage. The inner tube was not concentric, the outer tube lacked the correct chamfering around the outlet and the groove for the center O-ring was not stable.
Once again I allowed them time to come up with a "gasket" to use in place of an O-ring to seal the outlet opening. They struggled with this for way longer than I should have allowed before deciding that their idea was not going to work.
The only solution was to have two additional machining steps to produce the precise tolerances needed for the center outlet opening O ring and the chamfering of the outlet of the outer tube. If you are still reading this......They had to fill in sections of the mold so material could be left to machine. The center outlet O-ring groove was filled in the mold and the step was done by machining after it came out of the mold. The outer tubes inner diameter was filled in slightly so they could machine the center bore for precise alignment......Machining the O ring groove on a cylindrical shape has been challenging for them to say the least. With machining steps comes finishing steps and there has been an ongoing disagreement over who should bear the cost of all these extra steps added to the process.

The last sample parts that Luis and I have could be used for diving with some minor hand finish work as Luis said........I need to keep this part to a minimum as I don't have time to do it nor am I going to pay for a finished product that I have to tinker with to make it 100%. If I were only making a dozen of them it really would not be a big deal. I expect these to be in high demand so I ordered several hundred and doing fit and finish on all of them is something I have no desire to do considering I'll have to assemble and test them all anyway!

I think we are very close and if the results from diving with the samples I think there will still be time for everyone to get some late summer/early fall diving done with the new DSV.

Picture below shows the mouthpiece sans a couple of screws I don't have yet.
20160619_112254.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:22 pm

I apologize if this was covered in a previous post. Will it come in different colors? I've seen black, white and now gold. Or is the gold just representative of what this project has cost so far?

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:00 pm

I must have missed the gold ones?
Contract is for black color only. ...and to save the follow up question, no I have zero plans to make it in any other color.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”