Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: New From VDH (Universal back plate with vintage spirit)

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:18 pm

If all goes well you will see one each time you watch Jonathan Bird's Blue World on TV. He was recently equipped with the new plate/BCD combination. He loves the Phoenix so much he ordered a spare so he would not be without one while his primary is being serviced. It's ready but I'm waiting to install the next stage of the Phoenix evolution before I send it to him.. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:30 am

JES wrote:
1969ivan1 wrote:Looking good my Alaskan brother. I can't wait to try the VDH plate out at SAND DOG in PCB. All these posts by people are making me antsy.
It is a great looking setup. I just might need to jump on this bandwagon. 8)

Thanks guys, but I have to thank the gray hoses. They were the real stars!!!

And Jonathan Bird's getting a whole new set-up??? He has all the fun!!
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

New VDH Back Plate Harness

Mon May 07, 2012 8:35 pm

- I finally finished my harness for the VDH Backplate. Webbing and hardware are true Vintage from 1972-73. They came from the backpack off my old US Divers Double tanks. I needed additional webbing for the crotch strap and my belly and scored some on Ebay for $5.
- For connection of the criss-cross shoulder straps to the back plate, I wanted to avoid doubling the thickness and mounting a buckle close to scratching my regulator. So, I secured the straps with a keeper buckle behind the plate, and locked the keeper by stitching it into the webbing with a sewing awl.
ImageImage
- This results in a very clean single layer of webbing with minimal thickness between the regulator and my back. This webbing is quite thin and bendable... Allowing the closest positioning of the regulator to my back.
ImageImage
- The US Divers Double D-Ring shoulder fasteners were the inspiration for this harness. You can tighten, loosen, and quick release the shoulder straps with these very cool fasteners.
- I'm taking this harness to Fortune Pond May 18-19 to test it out alongside my Green Phoenix HPR... Should be like Christmas morning... To play with this cool stuff in that crystal clear water!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

OregonDiver1
Lung Diver
First Name: Anthony

Re: New VDH Back Plate Harness

Mon May 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Very nice man. Can't wait to see some pics of it in action.

9fingers
Diver
First Name: Tim

Mon May 07, 2012 11:29 pm

Nicely done! I was thinking of the same idea as I have a couple vintage US Diver harnesses. It looks like the double hose matches the yellow thread of the webbing pretty closely- at least it does from my computer screen :-)

Tim H/9fingers, Edmonds, WA

8dust
Master Diver

Mon May 07, 2012 11:44 pm

Very Nice work Surflung!

Those yellow pin-stripe straps really look sharp 8) 8) 8)

Might just have to steal that idea at some point. :mrgreen: I have a few of those BM backpacks and have always liked that webbing as the most comfortable and stylish, both that I have come across... time to start cutting...
Freddo
NAVED member #201

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Tue May 08, 2012 9:20 am

- Thank you all for the compliments... Nice of you not to say anything about it taking two sets of the original webbing to make this big enough to fit me! :roll:
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue May 08, 2012 2:06 pm

Machine shop shipped more universal back plates and I have 3 air cells in stock for those waiting to add a VDH buoyancy system to their setup. Still plenty of time to rig em up for Sand Dog :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat May 12, 2012 11:36 am

What if--the top slots were eliminated and that the top straps went through "slots" that bolted/riveted on? Two pieces of bent stainless, triangle shaped and bent at about 30 degrees with a 0.25" hole in the end away from the slot and a matching hole in the plate instead of the slots. The arrangement could use nylon bearing/washer and stainless aircraft lock nut that would allow them to swivel and thus eliminate the need to cross the straps. Maybe that has already been discussed.

Nice plate. Things just keep getting better for twin hosers :D

Nem

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sat May 12, 2012 12:07 pm

I got lost in your description, however, one of the main reasons that the straps cross is that effectively the straps originate from a central point. Effectively. This makes the tank more stable and the tendency for straps that are outboard of center to slip off the shoulders is eliminated. When I first made the travel harness, most people tended to put the two shoulder straps apart on the top tank band. We have found that putting them together is much more stable. I rerouted my shoulder straps on my Zeagle Express Tech to come from the top center of the "back plate".

Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat May 12, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks Allan for your post.
Nemrod, it is good to see you back.

Sorry I could not answer earlier, I was diving this morning at Nubble Light House. The water temperature was 45F, great dry-suit dive. I was using my newest Phoenix HPR with my back plate with a steel 72… I love this kit. I don’t have to make any straps adjustment when I switch from a 3 mm (in Turks and Caicos) to a dry-suit with heavy undergarment.

My tank is always centered and the regulator is touching right between my shoulder blades. I can roll side to side or put air in the wing and the top of the tank stays in place.

The harness is very comfortable and it is not tight. I use the stiffer harness because I like the shape they keep. They stick out like a Hawaiian pack when I set the kit up and I can just slip into the harness like if someone was holding up for me. This is very important with the loss of flexibility of a dry-suit.

Crossing the straps is one of the primary features of that back plate. By having the straps cross (or come from the center if the pack was design for that purpose) the shoulder straps come at an angle. This provides some lateral support that holds the top of the tank in the center.

Also, our shoulders slope down; therefore the straps tend to slide off if they are just vertical.

IMHO, one of the flaws of the modern back plates is the way they route the straps.

I used to do quite a bit of hiking and back packing in mountainous terrain and if you take a look at the better backpacks they tend to have contour shoulder straps that take the load to a center point (to stabilize the load in uneven terrain). They also have stabilizing load straps and substantial hip belts, but that is a bit much for our needs.

I really like the US Divers double ring shoulder buckles and the looks of the straps with the yellow stripe. The only problem (for me) with the double ring buckles is that they don’t work well with the stiffer straps. As I mentioned, I personally prefer the stiffer straps because they hold their shape, but that is just a personal preference.

I keep on reading some concern about the metal buckles I am using and the possibility of scratching the cans… let me mention once again… it is physically impossible for my metal slider buckles to touch the can… the way that I arrange them. I have no interest on scratching the chrome on my cans anymore than anyone else and I have been diving this kit now for a while. I suppose that my pictures are just not clear enough to show how it is set up.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

bbain
Vintage Diver

Sun May 13, 2012 11:59 am

simonbeans wrote: I rerouted my shoulder straps on my Zeagle Express Tech to come from the top center of the "back plate".

I've been looking at my Express Tech with an eye towards making the shoulder straps come out from the top center as well. How did you do it? I'm thinking of a webbing loop that traps a slider and with a grommet for the sex bolt hole that's at the top center of the "back plate". That way I could have the webbing be one continuous piece, but I'm open to other ideas.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun May 13, 2012 2:44 pm

I have two Express Tech that I modified (Christine's and mine).

Zeagle added extra waist strap attachment point (per my request) to fit better with the lower tank position.

I also modified the shoulder harness routing in a couple of different ways. The last and best solution I found was a strap that Allan made me to bring the straps together causing a similar effect as crossing them. With the shoulder padding I could not really cross the straps.

After trying a lot of different upgrades I ended up just replacing the plate with the VDH aluminum plate. I just transferred the bladder, the hardware, and the straps over to the aluminum plate and it all works much better.

I really like the Zeagle bladder and have found that the least expensive way to put together the new plate with a Zeagle bladder is to buy an Express Tech from Scuba Toys and replace the plate… reuse all the other stuff from the Express Tech.

IMO, the stock Express Tech is usable, but not ideal with a DH.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Wed May 23, 2012 1:52 pm

I have been using my express tech since last year but now have upgraded to the Vintage Spirit system. On the express tech I was using Zeagles zip touch weight system that attaches directly the the back plate with sex bolts. I wanted to just switch these over to the new plate by drilling a couple holes above and below where the waist webbing comes through plate. I found that this will not work without modifying pockets by moving or adding an attachement point and grommet to the weight pocket. Has anyone added a ditchable integated system to the new plate?

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Wed May 23, 2012 4:01 pm

I invented a really innovated way to modify the plate. WEIGHT BELT. :D :D
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”