captain
Plank Owner

Re: New From VDH (Universal back plate with vintage spirit)

Wed May 23, 2012 4:36 pm

I fabed up a similar plate a few years ago but patterned it from the early USD cam pack. It is contoured and dog bone shaped with the U cutout for the regulator. Instead of using keepers and doubling back the shoulder I just sewed them to the plate with a stitching awl. You lose a bit of convience being able to remove and attach the straps but once I figured the webbing configuration I wanted I sewed it. The pics are before I finalized the design. Nothing ever is right the first time. It is what I wanted for myself and probably wouldn't be a everyones plate.

Captain

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed May 23, 2012 6:03 pm

Nicely done Tom. The Farallon knife is a great addition as well.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Wed May 23, 2012 9:32 pm

Now that is a KNIFE!!!! and a plate!

I must run 180 degrees out of phase but it has now been a couple of years since I have had a metal plate on my back. I guess I need to get back in phase or frequency. Perhaps we can all re-sync at SD :wink:

Maybe split the plate and put a piano hinge in it with the hinge rod removable so that the plate can pack in two pieces. Yeah, do not mind me. Those are both excellent looking designs.

Nem

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu May 24, 2012 1:48 pm

simonbeans wrote:I invented a really innovated way to modify the plate. WEIGHT BELT. :D :D
Good to hear from you on the subject... but very subtle. :D :D
The older I get the better I was.

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Fri May 25, 2012 4:37 pm

antique diver wrote:
simonbeans wrote:I invented a really innovated way to modify the plate. WEIGHT BELT. :D :D

Great idea. That was plan B. Dont laugh, But I never used a weight belt. So I got my new plate all set up crotch strap and all. When I'm wering it, bottom of plate is about at my tailbone with waist strap at about the level of my navel. Where does the weight belt go? Around my ass? If I put the belt on first, how do I ditch weights?

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Fri May 25, 2012 5:10 pm

You have just discovered the problem with plates. Next best alternative would seem to be a belt with ditchable weights, maybe the XS-Scuba.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Fri May 25, 2012 7:41 pm

EHowe wrote:
antique diver wrote:
If I put the belt on first, how do I ditch weights?
When it comes to lifting weights I believe in “divide and conquer”. That is why I like to separate my weights (into a weight belt) from my tank/ scuba kit. keep in mind, up here in Maine, my weight belt could have 26 lbs or more.

I always put on my weight belt first. Then I put on my tank.

The last thing that I attach is my crotch strap on the front to my weight belt. I use a one inch crotch strap. At the front end the crotch strap makes a loop with a small buckle to make it easy to attach around the weight belt at the last minute. It is also adjustable in case I want to tighten it underwater.

If I ever need to drop the weight belt I just unbuckle it. The crotch is not going to keep it from falling since the front will fall with the belt.

This was a very common configuration used by Cousteau and others in Europe. I have been using it for many years and it works great. I have never had to release a weight belt, but I have tested it a number of times.

This is such an easy, reliable, and simple method, that I am surprised it is not more popular around here... This works with any kind of back pack, back plate, and even a basic harness.

The theory of lifting a weight belt and put it on last, sliding it under your tank is only practical if you are only wearing a few pounds.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Fri May 25, 2012 8:13 pm

As has been mentioned before:

Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Fri May 25, 2012 9:25 pm

I think you'll have to take into consideration the kind of diving you'll be doing. How much weight do you regularly use? For example, when I dive my rig in fresh water in a shorty and an LP72, I don't need any weights at all. For salt water and an Al80, I add about 4 lbs to my rig. Since this weight is very easy to swim up, ditchability isn't too much of an issue for me. With that in mind, I opted for weight pockets on the belt section of the harness:

If you don't need that much weight, then this might be an option. Otherwise, if you're a dry-suit person, then Luis and Allan's method sound like the way to go for you.

luis
VDH Moderator

Fri May 25, 2012 11:05 pm

That works, but they are hard to find and it doesn't work as well. I have one of those buckles... they are ok.

I just use a regular weight belt buckle and make a loop on my crotch strap with a small snap buckle. The way I do it, is also easier to adjust.

simonbeans wrote:As has been mentioned before:

Luis

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Mon May 28, 2012 4:20 am

Metal plates are so prehistoric, :lol: .

When are you guys going to catch up with the cool kids :wink:
Nem

luis
VDH Moderator

Mon May 28, 2012 8:17 am

Nemrod wrote:Metal plates are so prehistoric, :lol: .

When are you guys going to catch up with the cool kids :wink:
Nem

I am so glad to see you are back…
I am also not sure what you mean by that… but I don’t care. :lol:

You will get to see our new back plate in action in about two weeks.
Luis

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed May 30, 2012 9:56 am

- Hey Luis, could you post a picture of your crotch strap / Weight belt set up?
- I think my first try with the VDH Plate was riding a bit low. I ran into it when putting on my weight belt but, I think when it's in the right place a little higher, I should be fine with the weight belt.
- But, that crotch strap connection to the weight belt idea has fascinated me since I saw it in the "Silent World" movie. Seem like a slick solution but the hook method looks like it could come undone by accident.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

luis
VDH Moderator

Wed May 30, 2012 9:43 pm

In the picture below the crotch strap is just over the weight belt buckle, but I normally wear just to the right of the buckle. It works either way. If I just lift on that buckle the weight belt will fall and the crotch strap will not slow it down.

The first thing I do is put on my weight belt. After I put on my tank/ kit, the last thing I do is attach the crotch strap. I make the loop around the weight belt and close it with a snap buckle. I use a one inch strap with snap buckles that I buy at Wal-mart (they sell the same straps/ buckles in many outdoor stores like EMS, etc).

You may be able to see the snap (Fastek) buckle right on front of the weight belt.

You can do the same thing with the double ring type of buckle that Allan makes and sells. All you would need is the double ring at the end of the strap and close a loop with the other end of the strap.

I am actually now thinking about trying the double ring buckle type to replace the buckle that I am using. Either way would work just as well.

Here is a closer view. This is my old back-pack (what I was using a year ago) with buckles on the shoulder straps. The harness on my new back-plate is similar, but without the shoulder buckles.

Notes:
The little color bands next to my waist belt buckle are the Cozumel Park dive permit bands.

And yes, I wear two computers when I am on vacation diving three, four, or more times a day. I don’t want to loose a single dive because of a computer failure.
Luis

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu May 31, 2012 9:13 am

That's really slick. I'm going to try that. Thanks for the pictures.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”