ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

WTF is it?

Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:09 pm

Ok, when and why did Scubapro make this valve? I took it off a LP 95 someone gave me many moons ago

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: WTF is it?

Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:12 pm

Quarter turn to full on or off for fastest possible appropriate action to save air or deliver air quickly. Most useful as stage bottle and sidemount use as backmount would require a pretty limber shoulder action since the handle is on back side. Especially appropriate for deep diving , cave diving and wreck diving.

Seems like they weren't available for all that long. I first noticed them in early to mid-90's among the Florida deep diving nuts. I would have thought they would have been more popular, but there may have been some troubling issues.... maybe like air leaking out during storage. Ball valves aren't really the most secure and leak free means of a really good seal. On occasions we have been requested to install them on air storage systems and fill lines for fast use, but have had to back them up with good old regular line valves to keep stored air from seeping out while not in actual use. I can imagine high Helium mixtures finding a way past the ball seal. Psssss$$$$sss. :(
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:31 pm

antique diver wrote:
Quarter turn to full on or off for fastest possible appropriate action to save air or deliver air quickly. Most useful as stage bottle and sidemount use as backmount would require a pretty limber shoulder action since the handle is on back side. Especially appropriate for deep diving , cave diving and wreck diving.

Seems like they weren't available for all that long. I first noticed them in early to mid-90's among the Florida deep diving nuts. I would have thought they would have been more popular, but there may have been some troubling issues.... maybe like air leaking out during storage. Ball valves aren't really the most secure and leak free means of a really good seal. On occasions we have been requested to install them on air storage systems and fill lines for fast use, but have had to back them up with good old regular line valves to keep stored air from seeping out while not in actual use. I can imagine high Helium mixtures finding a way past the ball seal. Psssss$$$$sss. :(

Ok Bill. that settles it. First $3,500 takes it. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:00 am

antique diver wrote:
I first noticed them in early to mid-90's...
That's about when I likely got it. I just remembered why I stopped using it. I used it on the LP 95 one time for a lobster dive. Must have knocked the lever on the overhang while reaching under a ledge because my air instantly stopped. I tried my Air II but that didn't give me any air either. Couldn't reach the damn lever behind my head so made a free ascent. Took the valve off and threw it in a box.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:40 am

I got one..... Mine is from 93 or 94. Never had an issue with it, but swapped out to a normal valve a few years back. I'm surprised about the "it turned off" as IIRC, they have a latching action..... that is what the cast in "tabs" are for in conjunction with the black cover on the lever, which I seem to remember to have a spring in (maybe?)?
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:02 pm

I like to collect odd items like this.

I have a particular interest in odd items that were actually an engineering failure or a marketing failure. They sometimes have an interesting story behind them.

If either one of you wants to sell your valve, please send me an email.

Oh, and no, $3,500 is not in my discretionary budget. :shock:
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:06 pm

8)
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:24 pm

rhwestfall wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:40 am
I got one..... Mine is from 93 or 94. Never had an issue with it, but swapped out to a normal valve a few years back. I'm surprised about the "it turned off" as IIRC, they have a latching action..... that is what the cast in "tabs" are for in conjunction with the black cover on the lever, which I seem to remember to have a spring in (maybe?)?
You are absolutely correct about the lever action of the valve. It would make sense to have the lever on a spring of some type, and mine does have a bit of a weak action there. The lever is either in the up or down position. Also, when down it just takes a very small sideways/upward force to knock it over the tab to the closed position. Maybe something internal is busted. All I know is that I thought the thing a dive accident waiting to happen so stopped using it after it decided it wasn't going to give me any more air one day.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:10 pm

luis wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:02 pm
If either one of you wants to sell your valve, please send me an email.

Oh, and no, $3,500 is not in my discretionary budget. :shock:
Luis, isn't that what 3rd mortgages are for.? :D

I was going to put it on Ebay but make me a reasonable offer and it's yours. $7.20 flat rate shipping box. Best way to contact me is email. Mark.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”