SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Rich's Dip Tube Solution

Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:39 pm

Rich's Dip Tube Solution
- A few years ago my buddy Jerry GAVE me a nice yellow steel 72 tank and a repairable valve. Pretty generous! I got the tank hydro'd and inspected but have never got around to fixing the valve... It was missing a dip tube and needed servicing and a new knob.
- My other buddy Rich came up with the idea to use a floor anchor for a dip tube. The floor anchor has a threaded end, a vented end, a hole down the middle, and a nail in the hole. You put the anchor in a hole in the concrete floor and use a tool to fire the nail down the hole. It expands the end and anchors the bolt into the floor.
DipTube01.jpg
- We removed the nail from the anchor and found that the hole goes down the middle and turns into 4 vent slots. We screwed the threaded end into the bottom of the valve and locked it in place with a locknut and blue Loctite.
DipTube02.jpg
- Then I serviced the valve with parts from a beat up 3/4" Voit valve I had extra and replaced the knob. It may not be beautiful but, it works perfectly and I now have a good working 1/2" tapered thread valve to put on that yellow steel 72!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Rich's Dip Tube Solution

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Great idea! BTW, I really liked the looks of the valve with the old wingnut-type knob. I think I'll use one of my extra ones to recreate that look. :)
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”