ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Question on valves with High Pressure port.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Quick question about the old Dacor/Seamco and other tank valves with the HP port. How exactly does that work? Couldn't find a diagram anywhere. If the valve is turned off and no regulator on the tank, is the HP port pressurized? In other words, can you have a full tank, valve in off position, and remove the plug without a s☆☆t-load of air coming out? Thanks. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Question on valves with High Pressure port.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:12 pm

I can speak for the DACOR J Valves. I use those all the time. When the valve is closed there is no pressure to the port. You can change spg's from full tank to full tank without a problem. I routinely use regs like my DivAir. With the short yokes, they don't play well with banjo fittings. At Fortune Pond I dive them well past 100 feet. It gives me a warm fuzzy knowing how much air I have left!

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:52 pm

Thanks Jim. That is what I had always heard but was never sure. Going to try and find a 3/4 K-valve with HP port so I can use one of my DH that has a standard yoke with a SPG. Any one have one out there for a reasonable price? Thanks. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:27 pm

The Dacor and most of the other valves with ports are not pressurized when valve is shot-off, but I do remember at least one valve type that was pressurized. It was odd and it was a surprise. I can’t remember what brand name.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:38 pm

luis wrote:The Dacor and most of the other valves with ports are not pressurized when valve is shot-off, but I do remember at least one valve type that was pressurized. It was odd and it was a surprise. I can’t remember what brand name.
Good to know. Thanks Luis.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”