hunterkz
Lung Diver
First Name: gary

My new twin 42's

Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:37 pm

IMG_0241C2.jpg
Here is my new set that I just finished putting together. Sportsways 1880 psi galvanized 42's with sportsways J valve manifold. They are mounted on galvanized band to a healthways back pack. Dacor green and stainless buckle harness. All mounting bolts are stainless with lock nuts. The reserve rod is a light weight aluminum. I cleaned and painted with the professional enamel and then clear coated. My paint job was done in the garage with poor lighting so it is not the best. I may sell them due to no vintage buddies around here? Fresh hydro's and vip's. What do you guys think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Re: My new twin 42's

Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:50 pm

Not my favorite backpack. Doubles work best with a simple harness and bands. [Note: I could be prejudiced, however]
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:10 pm

Thanks for the input. I probably will not dive these it was just a fun project. I didn't have a harness so this it how they ended up. Where do you dive in NY and are there any gatherings during the summer. I am going to Lake George tomorrow to try and recover some things but using modern gear. It is about 165ft and I prefer the modern stuff for that. A shout out to Scubalawyer who provided me with the tank o-rings. Here is another pic. Yes there is a chicken butt in the other photo I just noticed.
IMG_0242A2C.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scubapeter
Lung Diver
First Name: peter

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:53 pm

I think the tanks look sharp!!! If you decided to upgrade to a Klauda harness, you would really enjoy diving these tanks. I find small doubles to be very handy in and out of the water.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:58 pm

I also love short doubles with vintage harness!
The older I get the better I was.

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:38 pm

Thanks. Where would I buy a harness for these that isn't too much $. I learned on the old J valve tanks and no pressure gauge but it has been a long time, My only other twin tanks were 72's and the first dive I took with them after using single tanks I dropped off the boat straight to the bottom at 45 feet. It was pretty funny, my buddy came down and helped me back up because I was too cheap to drop my belt. :)

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:32 pm

Many of us "vintage" divers go to the St. Lawrence, some of the best fresh water diving in the US. This year, however, the river and the Great Lakes had a problem due to a Political decision and very heavy rains. But we get together in July for some great diving.

As for a harness for your tanks, check out www.vintagescubastuff.com (Brazen self-gratifying plug).

scubapeter
Lung Diver
First Name: peter

Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:08 pm

I'll give Allan a quick plug here.... His harnesses are the closest thing to true vintage and would be bargain at twice the price.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:17 am

Hi Gary, just saw your post. Been away on a long weekend of trout fishing up in the High Sierras. No internet! Tanks look great. Agree that one of Allan' s vintage harnesses is the best for those tanks. And from first hand experience I can say that if Allan ever shoots you with one of his CO2 prop spearguns his harnesses look great with exploding fake blood packets :D Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:12 am

ScubaLawyer wrote:Hi Gary, just saw your post. Been away on a long weekend of trout fishing up in the High Sierras. No internet! Tanks look great. Agree that one of Allan' s vintage harnesses is the best for those tanks. And from first hand experience I can say that if Allan ever shoots you with one of his CO2 prop spearguns his harnesses look great with exploding fake blood packets :D Mark

Photo by Alan Youngblood

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:36 am

- Really nice job fixing up those Twin 42s. Congratulations!
- Don't worry about having a vintage gathering to dive vintage. I dive vintage all the time with dive buddies that are diving modern gear. You might even win them over to vintage after they see how you do it.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”