hunterkz
Lung Diver
First Name: gary

Twin 42 sportways 1880 psi value?

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:49 pm

Can someone help me find a value on my twin tank setup. I the tanks are galvanized 42 cf sportsways with 1/2 inch straight valves and a sportsways manifold. It has a helthways back pack and bands. Tanks are current hydro and clean inside. Manifold is in good used shape with no leaks and in usable condition. I dove with it last year and I am not sure if doubles are for me. I will try to post a pic later. Thank you

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Twin 42 sportways 1880 psi value?

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:56 pm

Got my set for $60 but by the time I overhauled the manifold/valve, put in new orings, new burst discs, got a new set of bands and harness, refinished the tanks, had them hydroed, and spent a zillion non-recoverable hours of sweat and frustration I think they are worth more. Seen finished sets advertised for anywhere from $250 to $400. Just depends on how bad someone wants it, their condition, and what they are willing to pay. My 2psi. Others opinion may differ. :D Good luck. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:43 am

I sold a set last spring with harness for $300. But if you want to sell it, your best bet is to have it in hydro, vized, and good photos. Post them in the For Sale section of this forum and see what happens. Hey, you never know.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if I should refinish them or leave the old patina. I guess I will clean them all up paint them and replace all the hardware on the pack/bands with stainless and replace all orings and seals on the manifold. It is missing the rod for the j valve so I need to find one of those. After I am done I will probably want to keep em :) I couldn't figure out how to load an image on this.

helomech17

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:18 pm

i picked up this Sportsways rig for 150. with Overpressure regulator. i dont like orange, so it had to go.
Best way is either Jasco or Aircraft paint stripper (mucho labor) or a bead blaster if you happen to have access.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:48 pm

The orange and black would be good for a Halloween dive :) I took them apart and I started to clean off all the vip stickers. I got the manifold in the ultrasonic. The insides are clean with only a faint flash rust. I may throw some stainless nuts in them and put them in the cement mixer just to get them super pretty. I know that is a very poor mans tumbler but it works. What paint do you guys use for the cans and bands? They are galvanized so I guess it is just to make them look pretty but I want it to last. Thanks again

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:57 pm

Gary (hunterkz),

Your O-rings are in the mail! Good luck with the rebuild project.

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:48 am

Mark,
Thank you for the help. They are all done now and look pretty good. I posted them in the tank section

Return to “Tanks and Valves”