helomech17

Sportsways tank manifold leaks

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:50 pm

hoping someone might have some advice on where to get the seal rings for both sides of the Sportsways
1/2" oring sealed manifold. Leaking out after both sides (crossover nuts) being tightened and I havent had
any luck finding the proper rubber/plastic? seals.
Not leaking at the tank to manifold o rings, just at the crossover nuts.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Sportsways tank manifold leaks

Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:45 pm

They are just orings, nothing fancy or special. When I overhauled my 1/2 inch Sportsways manifold i just printed out an oring size chart, overlayed the old oring, found the correct size and then Googled that size to find a seller. If I could remember the size I'd share but can't recall. You can find an oring size chart at http://www.deep-six.com/nitrox/orings.jpg

I do have extra tank valve orings for the 1/2 inch Sportsways of you need any. Mark.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

helomech17

Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:35 am

Ok, well, If they are o rings I'll locate some. They just looked like they were pre shaped rings but that must be from
years of set. Im only familiar with Sherwood manifold(s) with no rings at the crossover so it kinda surprised me to see
packing at those connections on the Sportsways.
I already replaced the tank o rings and there's no problem there.
Thank you

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:19 am

One thing to keep in mind. Since those orings have a high pressure differential across them, they need to be a harder durometer (measure of rubber hardness). Common hardware store variety are usually 70 durometer, those need to be 85-90 otherwise they will tend to extrude and leak/blow out.
Herman

helomech17

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:42 am

which is where I may have an issue trying to find not only the correct diameter o ring, but in the
correct hardness, I'm thinking.

captain
Plank Owner

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:42 pm

In all my years when I needed an O ring I went to the local Ace hardware and got one, never worried about durometer hardness and never had a problem.
Captain

helomech17

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:51 pm

thanks guys, all good info
maybe now I can get this set to hold air

crimediver
Master Diver

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:31 am

I have noticed when I took apart the manifold those O-rings took a definite shape and were flattened out and did not look like a standard o-ring. I cannot recall the size but they are listed in Roberts Basic Scuba book if you have a copy handy.

crimediver
Master Diver

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:41 am

I sent you a PM.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”