DaveMann
Lung Diver
First Name: Dave

Dacor Aluminum 63s

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:52 pm

Found an ad on my local Craigslist for two, hot pink, Daycor aluminum 63s. Being Dacors I figured they were probably fairly old, but you never know. Went to look at them and found them to be 1986 and 1988 manufactures. It's my understanding that the pre-1989 aluminum scares LDS and they wont fill them. They want the 6061 alloy of 1989 or better. These had a couple of vis inspections but no hydros ever. My LDS won't fill 'em based of Mfg date.

I can get them for next to nothing. Do they hold any value or serve any purpose other than hot pink door stops?

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Dacor Aluminum 63s

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:49 pm

They make great wind chimes, and if you cut the bottoms off at different lengths you get two different tones.

There are shops and individuals still using these old alloys, but as time goes by fewer and fewer shops will fill them. I personally don't use them, and don't fill them for others either. No matter how small the risk I just don't need it. You just never know how well they were actually inspected for cracks. Found lot's of cracked necks over the years, and some just aren't real obvious. Eddy current testing is a must on these in my opinion, but if the "technician" / dive shop flunky of the day doesn't perform and interpret the test correctly then you aren't protected even with that.

Believe me when I tell you that there are still people stamping hydro dates on cylinders that have not been properly tested, and I can just imagine there are plenty of people slapping on inspection stickers that don't really understand inspection procedures either.
The older I get the better I was.

DaveMann
Lung Diver

Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:33 pm

I'll split it with you. One door stop and one wind chime. :wink:

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:56 am

keep throwing out ideas...

I've got two 1970's "Z bottles" (aka "cork bottles" due to their floaty characteristics) that need to become a project rather than sell for scrap.....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

DaveMann
Lung Diver

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:22 am

I've seen table lamps made of retired tanks. Perfect for the man grotto.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”