kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Valves and First Stages

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:16 am

Has anyone else had issue with their first stage not sealing correctly at the valve? In other words, the lip of the first stage is wider than the grove in the valve where the oring fits. I had convinced myself that my second stage was leaking and then after some playing around thought it was the first but turns out its leaking by the valve. Im using a dual sherwood valve which could be the problem. Checked it on both valve openings and same issue. Im going to look for a different oring at work tonight for the valve face.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: Valves and First Stages

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:21 am

I have experienced two different thickness o-rings for yoke connections over years of diving. Don't recall the specifics, just that one was thicker (larger cross sectional area).
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:07 pm

kworkman wrote:Has anyone else had issue with their first stage not sealing correctly at the valve?.
Every once in a while with borrowed tanks I'll find one that none of my regs will seal on without a leak. I'll try Voit and USD and no deal. Yet those exact same regs seal fine on what appear to be an identical valve on other tanks. I've tried replacing the O-ring and cleaning out the groove, but no cigar. Tis a mystery. Mark.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:31 pm

In my experience, this issue has always been either a wrong sized o ring or a ding in the nozzle face that sits against the tank valve o ring. Someone with more experience will chime in I'm sure.

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:44 pm

I thought it might have been a ding too but when I tried on the other outlet, same problem. My guess is i have the wrong size oring. It seems to sit just below the lip of the valve face.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:56 pm

a quick google search turns up -013 (tighter fit) and -014 (the standard) o-rings being used. The -013 is a tighter fit, needing to "stretch" to fit, and might then have too small of a cross-sectional area to properly seal on some stages...
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Return to “Tanks and Valves”