Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Walter Kidde 1944 36cuf tanks

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:52 am

Hey Folks,

Back in Texas I have two Walter Kidde 36cuf. 1800 psi tanks dated 1944 with USN markings on them. They came from the set of doubles that came also with a Stream Air. My local dive guy won't touch them for Hydro due to the fact that he is afraid of damaging the tank valve manifold ports that are very hardily set (possibly sealed) into each tank. They are squared brass around the top of the assembly that screws into the tank proper. I really would really like to get them up and running. I am more than willing to send them somewhere else for tumble, pre-test and hydro. Any suggestions? Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of them, but will attempt to get my wife to take a couple of them. I do have some pictures from the original eBay advertisement. Hopefully you can see how the tank manifold is attached to each tank in these pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

captain
Plank Owner

Re: Walter Kidde 1944 36cuf tanks

Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:32 am

Those were originally CO2 life raft inflation tanks. They have 1" taper pipe thread necks and divers usually used 1" to 1/2" pipe reducers to adapt them K or J valves. I can't get a good look at what is on your tanks but it appears the owner may have made some custom manifold ends.
They may be extremely hard but not impossible to remove, not saying you won't damage the manifold ends in the process. A good tank vise and large wrench and lots of muscle should do it. Post a close up of the manifold ends and maybe I can offer some suggestion.
Captain

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Re: Walter Kidde 1944 36cuf tanks

Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:14 am

Thanks Luis, I'll get a good close-up once I get back to Texas. I am flying this weekend and I am carrying back with me about 12 regs that I rebuilt here in Saudi. Sorry it took me so long to reply.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Tanks and Valves”