wncdiver
Diver
First Name: Wayne

J Valve Trouble

Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:48 pm

Went to a not so local dive shop to pick up my steel 72 and J valve I had asked to be serviced. The tank had been hydroed in June, this was first week of August, I had called twice to check progress and had been told both times I would receive a call back, never did. When I got there I was told my J valve was no good and would have to be replaced. So I got the tank hydro and VIP but no air fill due to the valve issue. When I got home I downloaded the Aqua Lung Technical Maintenance Manual for the J,K, and Z valves. I took the valve apart found the tech had installed a K valve seat instead of the correct J valve seat. He did give me the old one(correct) so I'm assuming he did not know the difference. I also found that he had not installed the 6. O-ring 7. Back-up ring 8. O-ring 9. Thrust Washer. I mean if he was unfamiliar with the J Valve and couldn't or didn't want to work on it that would have been fine. I am assuming all the parts were in the valve when I dropped it off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: J Valve Trouble

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:24 pm

wncdiver, that's a familiar tale, and why so many folks here prefer to learn how to work on their on gear or send it to Bryan! How are you with tools?
The older I get the better I was.

wncdiver
Diver
First Name: Wayne

Re: J Valve Trouble

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:30 pm

I've done machine work in the past and am quite mechanically inclined. I've already got another J valve that is ready to use but I would like to rebuild this one and set up another tank. I have seen replacement seats but not a service kit per say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Tanks and Valves”