antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Burst disk question

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:58 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:UPDATE - I took the incremental approach. 60 in. lb = leak. 80 in. lb. = leak. Finally got it to hold at around 100 in. lb. (Slightly above the USD valve mfg number and at the lower end of what the seller of the burst disk advised.) BTW they were 5250 rated disks for 3442 HP tanks with a USD solid bar manifold. Your mileage may vary. Thanks again to everyone who contributed info. Mark.
Hey Mark, I like your empirical approach to the big question. We could talk about it for years, but you just jumped right in with incremental testing to get an answer. (Of course we still have to consider that different types of disc assemblies may require different torque to seal, but other folks could adopt your methods)
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Burst disk question

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:37 pm

antique diver wrote:
ScubaLawyer wrote:UPDATE - I took the incremental approach. 60 in. lb = leak. 80 in. lb. = leak. Finally got it to hold at around 100 in. lb. (Slightly above the USD valve mfg number and at the lower end of what the seller of the burst disk advised.) BTW they were 5250 rated disks for 3442 HP tanks with a USD solid bar manifold. Your mileage may vary. Thanks again to everyone who contributed info. Mark.
Hey Mark, I like your empirical approach to the big question. We could talk about it for years, but you just jumped right in with incremental testing to get an answer. (Of course we still have to consider that different types of disc assemblies may require different torque to seal, but other folks could adopt your methods)
Bill,

I learned the incremental approach from a famous uncle of mine who would design and build everything from surfboards to sailboats to radio-controlled gliders. His approach was to build his vision and then shave, tweek, change, alter and modify it until it worked the way he thought it should. For example, he would design and build a small boat hull (no marine architects need apply thank you) and then spend hours being towed behind it on a rope with a mask and snorkel to see how it moved through the water and make design adjustments from there. Some of my diving gear projects work right out the door, others need varying degrees of adjustment, and some I just junk because my vision collided head on with physics. Fortunately, my burst disk issue was a simple fix using empirical testing. Mark.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “Tanks and Valves”