makomako
First Name: norm

non DOT stamped tanks back from Hydro condemned

Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:16 am

Hi all, I need some advise please. I dropped off a set of doubles at the lds for VIP and Hydro. I did not realize that the tanks don't have a DOT stamp. Both tanks passed VIP but came back as condemned from Hydro with the reason of no DOT stamp. They did not destroy the tanks, they just put a sticker on them.

The tanks are marked:
Scubapro benelux V8.0L
PS 200 Bar
PE 300 Bar

They are about the size of a 50.

They have one Hydro stamp from 6/92 but I think it may have been done overseas.
I would like to get these tanks checked so I know they are safe to use. I don't care if the Hydro place stamps the date on them or not I just want them tested. I do own my own compressor but it would be nice if I could get them filled at shops too.

Thanks.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: non DOT stamped tanks back from Hydro condemned

Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:08 pm

Take it directly to a hydro tester and explain the situation.

If you have the option, look for a hydro tester that is located near an internal marine port. They often do hydro test on foreign life raft pressure cylinders, and are more likely to know the codes involving international cylinders.

It is perfectly legal (following the codes) for a hydro facility to do a hydro on a foreign/ non DOT tank. They can and should stamp the hydro date. They just can not stamp their DOT license number between the month and the year like they would do on a DOT cylinder.

The license number is the small letter and three number in a square pattern (read clockwise) that is normally stamped with the new requalification date.

My LDS is located in Portland, Maine, where there are two large commercial life raft companies. They do many foreign cylinders used in life rafts. During the winter time it is probably one of their largest source of income. The cylinders are smaller (equivalent to a 30 or 40 cu ft), which makes them easy to handle.

The life raft company takes care of filling them. I think they used a mixture of CO2 and compressed nitrogen, but I am not sure. They are not used in interstate commerce.

The foreign life raft cylinders come in a variety of shapes (some very skinny, some a bit fat), many different threads (most internal threads, but some external), some O-ring some tapered threads, etc.

The point is that they have adapters for all these different tank threads and they through the internet (with the help of the hydro machine supplier), they have sources for all the different pressure vessel codes.

Be careful if it is a 25 mm threaded neck. Don't let anyone confuse it with our standard tank valve threads

Good luck
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

captain
Plank Owner

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:31 am

I had a similsr issue with two US Navy non-magnetic tanks with no DOT stamp. These were made specifically for the Navy. I explained the situation to the tester and he hydroed them.
Captain

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:42 pm

captain wrote:I had a similsr issue with two US Navy non-magnetic tanks with no DOT stamp. These were made specifically for the Navy. I explained the situation to the tester and he hydroed them.
I have a non-dot German O2 tank. It was tested and the date stamped on it with the word "test" instead of the shop's numbers. I also have a few inconel flasks which do not get hydro'd, rather the welded seems are xray scanned. Since I fill these on my own, I'm only concerned with the fact that they have been tested and pass- gas.

BTW, I took this tank to a local dive shop and you would have thought I brought a bomb in. The guy there freaked out and said it was illegal for him to touch them. What a load of crap. It maybe against the regs to hydro it, but the guy could have O2 cleaned it without any problem. A good lesson learned that some shops really don't know how to handle situations like this let alone 100% O2...

There is a guy back in Kentucky that will hydro these types of tanks. If you are interested do a search on rebreatherworld for non dot tank hydro. Loads of solid info there.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:46 pm

+1 to What Luis said re the tank valve thread. I once had a 15L Scubapro tank with the euro standard threads, and the first time I brought it in for hydro, it "failed." But when it was re-tested using the proper valve, it passed with flying colours.

makomako

Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:48 pm

I found a place exactly like luis described, they do all types of cylinders for the marine industry. I dropped my tanks off today for hydro. I told the guy that they may be a problem because the tanks are "international" and don't have a DOT stamp. His reply was no problem and they will have a DOT stamp when they are done. I am not sure if what he said is true but it looks like they will get tested. I sure hope they pass, they should be done next week and I will post the results. I want to thank everyone for helping me out, this forum is a great resource and the members are top notch.

makomako

Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:09 pm

I got my tanks back today from the hydro place. Both tanks passed hydro and visual. They stamped the tanks with the hydro date and gave me the service records so I am good to go. Thanks again for your help.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:42 pm

I'm glad that you achieved good results by not giving up. So many times you will be told that you can't do something by little people that are wrong, or just plain full of crap. We need a word for those worms.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”