kombiguy
Diver
First Name: Chris

Blue Steel tank valves

Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:13 am

I know this was talked about in reference to the Argonaut DH, but my problem is something different. My tanks all have Blue Steel valves on them, and neither my DA AquaMaster nor my Healthways gold label DH will fit over them.
Do I need to use a specific brand valve, or use a couple of my old ones? The old ones, I believe, were rated for 2400 psi or so.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Blue Steel tank valves

Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:08 pm

The valves don't necessarily have to be old, just smaller. DIN valves with inserts seem to be the problem, standard yokes don't seem to be an issue ....just another reason to avoid DIN. If you are diving the regs without a SPG (no banjo) then adding a could of working J valves to at least a few of your tanks would be a good idea.
Herman

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:29 pm

+1 to what Herman said. Vintage gear works best with other vintage gear. Vintage valves are nice, because you are sure that your vintage double hose regulators will fit, and also they typically have a J valve reserve. Me personally, I tend to use my higher capacity steel tanks for technical diving, and I stick to single or double 72's with period correct valves or manifolds for diving the old gear. 72's have the most (in my opinion) desirable characteristics for vintage equipment diving. You can get vintage valves for like 20-30 bucks on Ebay, or by trading or buying on the site here.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

kombiguy
Diver
First Name: Chris

Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:53 pm

Thanks, guys. That seems to be the problem. All my "regular" valves are DIN with inserts. So, I broke out my disassembled Dacor with the fitting for a pressure gauge, and I'll finish rebuilding it today.
Now, I just need some steel tanks. Won't my wife be happy!

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:35 am

I have some vintage j valves I can sell you

Return to “Tanks and Valves”