Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Not Twin 44s but Twin 38 Walter Kidde Circa. Jan. 1944

Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:04 pm

Hey Folks,

Found the following on the "bay" and it is sitting at home with the wife. Was $250 too much? I have never re-built a double manifold, I don't even know if it is Dacor like the back pack says or is it USD. Oh, the "Stream Air" appears to be in really good condition with Tinnermans still attached. The tanks haven't been hydro'd since 94, so we'll see.
Please tell me what I have here tank wise. I don't know if they are pre-1970 or what. They weren't listed as vintage on ebay.

Your thoughts please, Oh Gurus of the Vintage World.

Thanks Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Twin 44s tank rig.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:27 pm

Personally, I think you did just fine. I've had a couple StreamAirs over the years. They dive just fine in original configuration and can be upgraded easily with a Mistral nozzle. Herman and Captain are your go to guys on the manifolds. From what I can see in the photo's, they really look US Divers to me. Steel tanks, unless they have been totally abused last darn near indefinitely. A ride on the tumbler and some brushing on the threads will get them ready for hydro.
If your still gun shy, I'll be happy to take them off your hands and fix it so you lose nothing! You can't lose! :wink:

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:39 pm

I was actually following this listing on e-bay. I thought the price, $250 for a set of vintage twins, manifold, double hose regulator, and accessories to boot sounded a bit too good to be true. The listing stated the tanks were for "display only". I emailed the seller and asked if they had ever failed hydro. I couldn't get a straight answer so I passed. If the tanks can be put in working order you got yourself a great deal. Like swimjim says, if you don't want to risk it, I too would be happy to take them off your hands. I'm just jealous 'cause I'm still looking for the perfect set of 38s. Mark.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bronze06
Master Diver

Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:43 am

Thanks Guys,

I had a feeling that the manifold was US D, but I'll check with Captain and others. I think it will be fun to get the stream Air up to specs. The tanks I hope will pass Hydro and a good tumble should clear any detritus. I am still curious about the year of manufacture, but until I can get home and look at the tank markings un-obscured I'll have to wait and that won't be until mid November leave. I have now idea about the mask condition, but my non-swimming and non-diving wife said that it looks good. I think it was worth it for just the Stream Air due to its un-molested chrome and apparent condition. More to follow.

Thanks Again, Russ

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver

Re: Twin 44s tank rig.UPDATE!!

Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:34 am

They are 38 cu. Walter Kiddes US GOVT. marked from Jan. 1944, 1800 psi. I've got my buddy at Ascuba Venture in Corpus Christi having a go at them. Hopefully they can pass vis and hydro again. Last hydro was 1994. The manifold is ancient from at least 1950 possibly before. The Dacor pack is obviously newer. I have brought the Stream Air back with me to Saudi for a rebuild. :o

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver

Re: Not Twin 44s but Twin 38 Walter Kidde Circa. Jan. 1944

Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:44 am

Hey Folks,

I have still have this set of US Govt. issue Walter Kidde 1944 1800psi tanks that I would like to get back into operation. About two years ago I took them into my LDS and asked if they could do a tumble and hydro on them. A day later, the LDS owner said he couldn't do it due to the tank connectors, which come off each tank at a 90-degree angle in order to connect with the manifold bar. He said he attempted to place them in a chain vise and tap the connectors out, but couldn't do it, due to the tork on them as well as he was afraid to damage the connectors. Have any of you ever run into this situation before and if so what was your solution?
As I haven't been back long enough to have at them, I would really like to get them up and running. I placed desiccant inside each and sealed them up with tape. As stated in earlier posts, their last hydro was in 94.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

captain
Plank Owner

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:18 am

Doesn't appear to be a USD manifold from what little I can see. How about a better picture. Any 1944 Kidde tanks would require a reducing adapter to be able to use a scuba manifold.
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:29 am

Can you get a close photo of the manifold? That might help on ID and maybe some hints on getting them out.
The older I get the better I was.

Bronze06
Master Diver

Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:19 am

Here is a photo of a 1956 triple that has the same connectors on the outer tanks that my WK doubles have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

captain
Plank Owner

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:41 pm

Jury rigged, in the case of the triples it looks like reducing bushing were screwed into all three tanks and the hex was either cut or machined off the two outer tanks. The hex is still visible on the inner tank. Two oxygen elbows were then screwed into the outer tanks to mate to the USD triple center. Again close up pics of the elbows on your tank may help to fining a solution to the hydro problem.
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Probably no chance of getting those cut-off bushings out without wrecking them with a suitably sized ezeout. Maybe... just maybe and with a little luck you might find someone that will hydro them with the bushings in place. Probably against some rule to do so, but a few folks out there are willing to fudge a little. Hmm... do you really want them to be testing your life support systems it they don't follow the rules? Well, just something to consider. :?

Set up like it is with the complete bushing in the center tank, that must put that tank extending beyond the others.
The older I get the better I was.

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:39 am

You can see a bit of a bend in the center section, I bet it is to even out the tank bottoms. A large easyout MAY get them out. Drilling through them with a drill bit slightly smaller than the ID of the tank threads and try to peel the remains of the reducer threads out. I have done it before but not on a tank.
Another possibility is to weld a large bolt to the reducer. The heat would also help to loosen the the thread and shouldn't put enough heat into the tank itself to cause any damage.
'
Captain

Bronze06
Master Diver

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:38 am

captain wrote:Jury rigged, in the case of the triples it looks like reducing bushing were screwed into all three tanks and the hex was either cut or machined off the two outer tanks. The hex is still visible on the inner tank. Two oxygen elbows were then screwed into the outer tanks to mate to the USD triple center. Again close up pics of the elbows on your tank may help to fining a solution to the hydro problem.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get those pictures soon. I will attempt to get my wife to photo them back home. She is not a "Scuba" person.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:35 pm

Finally some pics of the recently hydroed Walter Kidde double 38s made in Jan 1944. Manifold is diffinitely early and the earliest hydro stamp I have found is 1950 but very faint. I am not sure of the small shield with the "H"stamp's meaning (Healthways????). There are no collets on the manifold like most others from this period, and I had to add drip tubes to the manifold tank conectors in order for it to pass muster. The conectors are designed to fit directly into the tanks, and seal with plumbers tape. It has the "wide/flat" rubber o-ring seal at the valve. All I need now is a set of period correct bands and a harness for them.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:54 pm

Them thar r real purty Russ. Congrats on finishing the rebuild.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “Tanks and Valves”