tall78
Diver
First Name: Louis

J-62 twin Plastic Dip Tubes

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:25 pm

I have an old twin valve with plastic dip tubes. Are you telling me that I can get new tubes from Aqualung, still today? Great, now how do I get in touch with them?

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: J-62 twin Plastic Dip Tubes

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:49 am

tall78 wrote:I have an old twin valve with plastic dip tubes. Are you telling me that I can get new tubes from Aqualung, still today? Great, now how do I get in touch with them?
If you find out that they are not available in metal I would remove the current plastic ones and go without the tubes until you find or make new ones (JMO). They are there to help prevent foreign matter that may exist in the cylinder from entering the valve and your regulator when inverted. So keep the inside of your cylinders clean, free of loose rust particles and dry, and you should be fine for temporary use.

A friend with a simple lathe could make some out of 5/16 brass rod stock by threading and boring. You could even simplify the process by starting with a common 5/16 brass bolt and just bore it on a lathe. I am pretty sure that thread is the commonly used 5/16 X 18 (easy to check by removing plastic one), having done the same thing years ago.

The plastic ones do need to be removed. They were originally re-called by USD for a free replacement due to the possibility of melting in a fire and stopping up the burst disk passages, which they felt could cause an explosion. If you need further help let me know.
The older I get the better I was.

captain
Plank Owner

Re: J-62 twin Plastic Dip Tubes

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:35 am

Dip tubes are pretty generic, ask a shop if they have any old valves laying around that you could salvage the dip tubes from or

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=vi ... &_from=R40
Captain

Return to “Tanks and Valves”