SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Sportsways 38s and 1/2" Straight Thread O-Ring Valves

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:17 pm

Bad news. One of the tanks didn't pass the hydro. So, I've just got the one left as a single.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Good news is that the tanks were hydro'd in OHIO so you did not have to eat the failed tank. My bad luck only the 3 tank I have ever had fail hydro.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:26 pm

1969ivan1 wrote:Good news is that the tanks were hydro'd in OHIO so you did not have to eat the failed tank. My bad luck only the 3 tank I have ever had fail hydro.
It is so rare that I usually suspect a problem at the hydro facility when one fails... just suspicous I guess.

BTW, do you know if those cylinders were galvanized under the paint? As many of you already know, the galvanized cylinders really need a special procedure for testing, or a perfectly good cylinder might fail. See the manuals section for more info on cylinder hydro.
The older I get the better I was.

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:21 pm

Dang Rob, that bites. I'm wondering it the tank that failed was the tank that had NPT threads forced on it. Do you know which it was?

And Surflung, not sure if this helps, but my buddy has a HP100 that has a 1/2in. o-ring valve. I don't know if the modern HP valves would work, but you can probaly find out from some of these guys real quick.

If that isn't an option you want to pursue, I have a vintage 1/2in. o-ring valve from a Sportsways tank. The valve handle was missing, and I cannot find parts here to save my life. If you want that valve, let me know and I'll drop it in the mail. It's really of no use to me here on the island.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

2airishuman
First Name: Steven

Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:48 pm

These may actually be M18 threads.

I just got two 1960s Sportsways cylinders that have M18 straight threads. I confirmed it with a thread gauge.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”