gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Double 38's

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:01 pm

From what I can tell - these are 38's correct? New project I picked up. Valve/manifold is in good shape but is getting a good overhaul. Then need to get bands and a harness.

-Geoff

captain
Plank Owner

Re: Double 38's

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:53 am

You may run into problems having them filled at a dive shop. The tanks have reducing bushings and although that is perfectly safe and legal many shop are ignorant of that fact and will refuse to fill them.
Captain

8dust
Master Diver

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:46 pm

Captain (or anyone else...),

Have you had to replace any of those bushings? I have a set I was starting to fool with a while back and found that very little was rated for pressures in the range we would need for these tanks. I must have talked with at least a half-dozen industrial pipe and supply houses. What was available was ex-pen-sive! Brass was reported to be too soft and I wasn't going to pay the coin for SS, and as I remember that only left bare steel which I figured would rust as bad as what I wanted to remove. Had an absolute devil of I time finding the right thread patterns too.

What's the best approach & source on these???

Fred
Freddo
NAVED member #201

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:44 pm

A forged steel bushing is the best choice.
Mc Master-Carr 1 X 1/2 . . 4,500 PSI . . # 50925K362 $4.92 each

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/72/=fvpyhd

If you want 316 stainless 1 X 1/2 3000PSI #4443K757 $14.25

http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-stee ... rs/=fvq1gt
Captain

gj1963
Master Diver

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Luckily I am in fairly well with the dive shops and my crazy gear at this point. Overhauled manifold and put in new burst disks. It still had the lead plugs. Looked inside with the bore scope and they are pretty clean. Here they are on a Scubapro pack for now.

Fred thanks for asking about the bushings, and Captain for the info... These are in hydro - but when the time comes I will put in new bushings while it's apart.
-Geoff

8dust
Master Diver

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:24 pm

captain wrote:A forged steel bushing is the best choice.
Mc Master-Carr 1 X 1/2 . . 4,500 PSI . . # 50925K362 $4.92 each

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/72/=fvpyhd

If you want 316 stainless 1 X 1/2 3000PSI #4443K757 $14.25

http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-stee ... rs/=fvq1gt

Well I'll be a bare-assed monkey... :?

I'm sure I looked at McMaster, and Granger, and at least 4 other places... can't imagine what or why I was finding what I did, but galv. @ 3x the operating pressure for < $5.00 sounds AOK to me. I swear what I was finding wasn't plated, had an operating pressure ~ 750psi, and were like $16.00/ea.??? and the SS were like $25.00 or more?...

maybe I was just intoxicated, but not for a solid week, not since college anyway... :oops:

Thanks! Very glad to be pointed in the right direction if I decide to get back into that set one day.
Freddo
NAVED member #201

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:11 am

Mixing brass, zinc and steel is not a good thing. Also, I do not think you should go with galvanized surfaces in contact with highly compressed air. $20 extra for SS sounds like a bargain.
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:27 am

eskimo3883 wrote:Mixing brass, zinc and steel is not a good thing. Also, I do not think you should go with galvanized surfaces in contact with highly compressed air. $20 extra for SS sounds like a bargain.
I guess that's why we don't have galvanized steel tanks with brass valves.
Captain

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:53 am

When you go to re certify with PSI to keep current you have to set though about 30 minutes of back and forth over this issue....Almost as much over what to use and what not to use on valve threads....I'm glad you can do it on line now!
I don't know how many valves I have removed from scuba cylinders, boilers, gas manifolds etc and the only ones I can remember having a problem with were copper to steel when a dialetic union was not used. I do see a lot of valves in scuba cylinders that have more grease on them than threads :shock:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Douchebag
Master Diver

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:05 pm

captain wrote:
eskimo3883 wrote:Mixing brass, zinc and steel is not a good thing. Also, I do not think you should go with galvanized surfaces in contact with highly compressed air. $20 extra for SS sounds like a bargain.
I guess that's why we don't have galvanized steel tanks with brass valves.
That's right we don't, at least we don't with galvanizing on the inside. Galvanizing inside the tank, including threads, is a recipe for possible disaster. Air purity is a big one. Don't know about you guys but I'm not to keen on inhaling Zinc.

kgehring
Master Diver

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:36 pm

I had a set of tanks hot dipped and I still do not have the insides of tanks smelling usable. Not sure if some chemical got inside during process or there was some type of coating in the tank that caused the problem when heated in the dip. Tanks have been tumbled and cleaned. Still have a trick or 2 to get them back in service.
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:31 am

Hi Captain,
I think tank threads on galvanized tanks are left bare because otherwise the thread's sealing surface would be sacrificial zinc and prone to leaks after the galvanic reaction in salt water. I think internal surfaces like the inside of the tank and inside of bushings are not zinced to prevent inhalation of zinc oxide.

Is there a down side to using a SS bushing other than $$$? Would the harder SS be more likely to gall the tank threads?
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

captain
Plank Owner

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:34 am

When a threaded stainless anything galls it usually leads to both threads being ruined even if one is not stainless. Normally you can use an anti-seize compound to help prevent it but in the case of tank you don't want to because of contamination of the air and teflon tape is no guarantee of it not galling.
I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I know why the interior and threads of a tank are not galvanized but just saying you shouldn't mix galvanize, steel and brass isn't telling the whole story and gives the uninformed the wrong impression. They hear or read something in one context and repeat it in an entirely different content.and turns into someone saying you can't use a brass valve in a galvanized steel tank. The three mix mix quite well in the proper application. There is just so much misinformation about tanks that it boggles the mind and I don't like to see more added to it.
Captain

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:55 am

captain wrote:When a threaded stainless anything galls it usually leads to both threads being ruined even if one is not stainless. Normally you can use an anti-seize compound to help prevent it but in the case of tank you don't want to because of contamination of the air and teflon tape is no guarantee of it not galling.
I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I know why the interior and threads of a tank are not galvanized but just saying you shouldn't mix galvanize, steel and brass isn't telling the whole story and gives the uninformed the wrong impression. They hear or read something in one context and repeat it in an entirely different content.and turns into someone saying you can't use a brass valve in a galvanized steel tank. The three mix mix quite well in the proper application. There is just so much misinformation about tanks that it boggles the mind and I don't like to see more added to it.
I go though some scenario or Q-A or You Don't Know What You Are Talking About situation on a weekly basis regarding aluminum cylinders / thread grease/ O2 cleaning/ steel cylinders have stress load cracking in the necks/ 1/2" cylinders cannot be used because hydro testing equipment no longer attaches to it... etc....
Last week I was told by a customer I could not fail his aluminum cylinders on a visual inspection. He had taken a side grinder and wire wheel to them and some of the pits were still more than 3/32" deep on the outside....His comments was...A visual inspection is for the inside....No one cares what the outside looks like :shock: :shock:

I will agree 110% that when I put stuff on the form it makes sense in my head but does not always make sense when others read it....
This is one of the reasons the main page looks like it does....Get to the facts, cut out the BS and have a good time.
Oh and someone please invent a sarcasm font and also a marker by peoples names that don't get sarcasm.....It will save a lot of feelings :)
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

gj1963
Master Diver

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:31 pm

Continuing on this -- I had a leak from under the J-Valve plug. The rebuild pdf mentions the USD diagrams show no seal. A very perished one came out though. So I am looking for a suitable replacement - if it is supposed to have one. I dont see how it would seal effectively without. The rebuild guide mentions adding an O-Ring. Just looking for any input on this from someone with previous experience. I dove through a bunch of washers and o-rings and the LDS. Did not find a good washer that will fit. Got an O-Ring - but to me it seems more that it would have taken a washer. Worry about an O-ring bunching or pinching.

-Geoff

Return to “Tanks and Valves”