USdiver
Master Diver

US Divers Aluminum 72 (2475 PSI)

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:12 pm

Anybody have experience with the "Lifetime Warranty" US Divers' 2475 PSI Aluminum 72s? I'm looking at a set of twins, mfg., 04/1972. According to the 1972 US Divers catalog (thanks for posting the catalogs Bryan) these were the ultimate "exclusive revolutionary" cylinders of the period. As they have no LUXFER 6351 markings I assume that they are not of this alloy. These are a good looking set of twins, but before I make an offer on them, I'd like to hear if they are problematic or a good design.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: US Divers Aluminum 72 (2475 PSI)

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:15 am

They are made out of 6351.

They also float like buoys and are very long. Must divers used to put a 5Lb weight to the bottom of them. Without the weight the bottom would float so much that would push the valve against the back of your head.

They were the first tanks that I almost buy... I am glad I didn't.

They would make for an interesting display and conversation piece, but I personally would not be interested on diving them... assuming they pass hydro, visual, eddy current test, and you can get them filled.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Popeye
Master Diver

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:49 am

First appeared in the 1972 US Divers Catalog advertised as "rust free-lightweight-durable-full 71.2 cu.ft. air capacity" as Luis says they were very light, I remember these from when I worked a dive shop in Santa Barbara,California in the early 1970's, a number were delivered with too low a safety disc and were returned to be refilled after left stored in a closed van! and as Luis also says"Make for a interesting display" I put a couple togeather last year which are on display at the National UDT-SEAL Museun in Fort Pierce,Florida.

USdiver
Master Diver

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:54 am

Luis and Popeye,

Thanks for the opinions on this curio / relic of diving's past. On the plus side, these could be nice for a display, on the negative, they are too low pressure and too light to be considered suitable for modern diving. However, they could be a badass vintage set to go with my round label phoenix aqua master. The last hydro was over 25 years ago, and superficially they look pretty good considering their age, so on a worst case scenario I'd have a nice base to display a dh reg.

Now if only the wife would understand... :roll:
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:11 pm

USdiver wrote:...

Now if only the wife would understand... :roll:
Oh, this line is soooo true, it should be a standard sig line...

kgehring
Master Diver

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:56 pm

There was 2 of them on fleabay about 3 weeks ago. They were NOS. I bought 1.
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

Return to “Tanks and Valves”