1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Re: New Triple Manifold Design

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:46 am

I suspect that PORTAGE will be triple laden this year!

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:58 am

1969ivan1 wrote:I suspect that PORTAGE will be triple laden this year!
Without a doubt! 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Robohips77
Master Diver

Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:43 pm

This is the newest attempt at an authentic looking set of triples. Once again Tom did the maniold creation and I have used 3 OMS 45's. I am also using galvanized eyebolts and 24 gauge 1 inch steel strapping material. Once I have it all fabricated and painted with hot dip galvanized zinc paint it will be finished with a Simonbeans harness in blue. Weight is almost equal to the original 44 triples!.

First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner

Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:08 am

Wow, maybe I need to award another prize!!!! Nice work Robohips!

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:36 am

I like the galvanized eyebolts, I have had much too much trouble with stainless galling on me to want to use it on these bands.
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

Robohips77
Master Diver

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:20 pm

Chose galvanized for that exact reason. At least one of the four s/s eyebolts I used ends up galling. the galvanized have held up through all the fabrication process. I have painted the tanks and need to put a final light touch up coat after a light sanding. they look great so far. I am not sure how well they will hold up but we will see. tomorrow I am finishing the bands with a light bead of welding to hold the bands together. I am trying to determine how to put on a J rod holding clip. Will need to fab it out of some 24 gauge metal same as the bands and then weld it in place? Any ideas welcome. I will then prime and paint the bands. I am only using one j rod holder on the lower set of bands. :?:

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:56 pm

Robohips77 wrote:I am trying to determine how to put on a J rod holding clip. Will need to fab it out of some 24 gauge metal same as the bands and then weld it in place? Any ideas welcome.
Get a thin piece of stainless approx 1" long and 1/2" wide. Drill a hole near one end of it just a little larger than a J-rod and bend it in half at a 90 degree angle. Thread your J valve rod through the hole and onto the valve. Then put the other end of the small stainless tab between the band and the cylinder and tighten the band.... I didn't think this one up...I got a cylinder with a back pack and band setup like this a long time ago.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

8dust
Master Diver

Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:03 am

If it were me, I think I would cut/stamp the rod holder out of the band itself as a 3-sided tab, then bend around the rod and hammer it down a little using the square corner of a wood block against the tab, so it takes on a bit of the contour of the rod. I don't have a great deal of luck welding sheet metal, but that's just me.
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Robohips77
Master Diver

Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:30 pm

Bryan wrote:
Robohips77 wrote:I am trying to determine how to put on a J rod holding clip. Will need to fab it out of some 24 gauge metal same as the bands and then weld it in place? Any ideas welcome.
Get a thin piece of stainless approx 1" long and 1/2" wide. Drill a hole near one end of it just a little larger than a J-rod and bend it in half at a 90 degree angle. Thread your J valve rod through the hole and onto the valve. Then put the other end of the small stainless tab between the band and the cylinder and tighten the band.... I didn't think this one up...I got a cylinder with a back pack and band setup like this a long time ago.
This will work. thanks for your input Bryan. Of Course now Bryan gets to dive these puppies at Portage and other various locations when we meet up. :D

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:22 pm

Here are two ideas. I think the first one is similar to one mentioned. This is an original used by Sportsways prior to 1960 on their plate-style backpack.

This one I have used before. I find it more secure to the band than the simpler L shape. The picture shows how it is made. The model is just cardboard. I would suggest stainless steel cause cardboard doesn't hold up well in the water. :roll: An easy way to get stainless is to cut a piece from a hose clamp found at your local hardware.

Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Robohips77
Master Diver

Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:06 pm

Great ideas and thanks again to all. Robohips x3

Robohips77
Master Diver

Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:46 pm

Almost done, Some touchup paint and then a set of simonbeans harnesses. they are full to 2650 and absolutely no leaks due to the fine engineering of Captain. Thanks again to all for the ideas and the also the j-rod clip. As you can see it worked out great. Now a dunk in the pool in April. :D

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:02 pm

Those look just like the ones Mike Nelson wears walking down the steps at the conclusion of some of the Sea Hunt episodes. I just love it when you and others do such a great job of restoration or reproduction of true vintage gear. Nice job.

Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

1969ivan1
Plank Owner

Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:32 pm

NIce work Robo!

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:22 pm