INFIDELxx
Master Diver

Hydro problems.

Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:31 pm

Today I called the local Hydro facility to discuss my tanks. The tanks I asked about were USN Non-Mags, Voit double 50's, and Drager 7L.

I knew that the USN's could not be stamped and I did not want the Voit's stamped. I just wanted them checked. His response was.....Nope!

He will not even test the USN's because of the plug and the voits must be stamped if tested.
The Dragers can only be tested if they say DOT. Is this true?

Is there some recourse? some documentation I can give him to try and sway him?
Or should I try another facility ( hours away)?
D.I.R.....With Voit !

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Re: Hydro problems.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:01 am

Buy a compressor or use the one at the fire house.

I have a great local hydro faciltiy that will hydro anything I bring them and will not stamp them if I ask. They also will not destroy the threads on a tank if it fails. Some hydro places will destroy your tank w/o ur permission in voilation of the CFRs, as talked about on the forum before.

captain
Plank Owner

Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:02 am

My shop also has no problem doing hydros on non DOT spec cylinders. More than likely he does not know or understand the DOT concerning privately owned non DOT spec cylinders. Check your email.
You can contact DOT, explain your situation and request an interpretation. Just make them aware you are not asking for the tanks to be stamped, only tested and verified safe for your own personal use.
Captain

INFIDELxx
Master Diver

Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:25 pm

1969ivan1 wrote:Buy a compressor or use the one at the fire house.

I have a great local hydro faciltiy that will hydro anything I bring them and will not stamp them if I ask. They also will not destroy the threads on a tank if it fails. Some hydro places will destroy your tank w/o ur permission in voilation of the CFRs, as talked about on the forum before.
Thanks Rob for the Help. I could not find the CFR's on the download page. But you sent them to me. :D I will use the Firehouse once I get them tested.
captain wrote:My shop also has no problem doing hydros on non DOT spec cylinders. More than likely he does not know or understand the DOT concerning privately owned non DOT spec cylinders. Check your email.
You can contact DOT, explain your situation and request an interpretation. Just make them aware you are not asking for the tanks to be stamped, only tested and verified safe for your own personal use.
Tom,
Thanks For the email. That helps a lot. I think you are right about the local shop being ignorant. I will write DOT and procure a letter of my own.
D.I.R.....With Voit !

captain
Plank Owner

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:20 pm

Here is a link to the DOT interpretations page. If you want to spend time reading there are many letters of interpretation listed.

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/regs/interps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Captain

captain
Plank Owner

Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:18 am

Jason, I talked with a DOT rep this morning, explained your situation to him and he said there is no DOT regulation that prevents just testing a non DOT spec cylinder and not stamping it if it is for personal use. He feels it is the shops personal decision to refuse to do the test and not any DOT regulation preventing it being done.. Look for another shop.
Captain

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:15 am

I have had one dive shop and one hydro facility in the Tampa/Sarasota area tell me they would not test cylinders without stamping them. They both acknowledged that there was no DOT regulation against it but it was THEIR personal preference.
Same thing with a Captain or LDS not letting vintage gear on their boats, personal choice...
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

NEDiver51

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:28 pm

You probably already know this but if you use a firehouse for your air make sure they have a scuba grade filter system. If they have a dive team you should be ok.

Robohips77
Master Diver

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:02 pm

Grade D air vs. Grade E air. Dehumidified by the filtration system. PM me if you need more info.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”