usddude
Master Diver

Name The Twins

Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:34 pm

I finally got my double steel 45's done. Tumbled, hydro, stripped and cold galvanized. I rebuilt the Sportsways manifold. I put a coat of flat Rustoleum cold compound and then a coat of the shiney compound. The bands are galvanized too. I might put those decals on them but I'm not sure which ones I want to use!!

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Re: Name The Twins

Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:53 pm

WOW! Those look great, and I definitely cast my vote The Voit Lung. 8) Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

INFIDELxx
Master Diver

Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:31 pm

I think we'll call you "Jim" and the tanks "the twins". :D Nice work!
D.I.R.....With Voit !

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:31 pm

Of course the tanks will look much better with VOIT labels.. 8)
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:37 pm

capn_tucker wrote:Of course the tanks will look much better with VOIT labels.. 8)
I'll cast my vote for the VOIT Swimaster labels. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

INFIDELxx
Master Diver

Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:12 pm

Vintagediver wrote:WOW! Those look great, and I definitely cast my vote The Voit Lung. 8) Terry
I agree!
D.I.R.....With Voit !

Douchebag
Master Diver

Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:45 am

I might be in the minority here (other than I already am :P ) but I kind of like them bare.

PS-great job on the refinish!!

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:35 am

Douchebag wrote:I might be in the minority here (other than I already am :P ) but I kind of like them bare.

PS-great job on the refinish!!

Interesting, I tend to agree with you.

I keep on thinking about putting some AquaLung labels on my tanks... and I really like the vintage looking Aqua Lung (US Divers) labels, but at the end of the day I keep on putting it of. I like the plain look of a galvanized tank.

And now I have a pair of black vinyl (over galvanized) like new looking tanks that would look great with the yellow Aqua Lung sticker, but they also look great in plain black.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:43 am

IMHO, seeing as how you have a Sportsways maniford, you might want to use Sportsways stickers. What is the maker of the tanks? What type of harness? Again, are you striving for authenticity of vintage or ecelectic?
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:59 pm

simonbeans wrote:IMHO, seeing as how you have a Sportsways maniford, you might want to use Sportsways stickers. What is the maker of the tanks? What type of harness? Again, are you striving for authenticity of vintage or ecelectic?
Excellent point! It's important to know what you're striving to attain. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Douchebag
Master Diver

Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:32 pm

simonbeans wrote: Again, are you striving for authenticity of vintage or ecelectic?
I don't know if I agree with that. Just because the tanks aren't labelled means he's eclectic? That's another existential question...just because things aren't labelled means he's not a vintage diver? If he has all the same STYLE gear, uses the same methods and techniques is he not a vintage diver? Or does the addition of stickers make it official?

I'm not sure how things operated back then, being a youngin and all, but if somebody were to go to a LDS back then and rent some tanks I doubt they would have all the necessary badging that would qualify him as vintage (back then though it wouldn't be vintage it'd be modern). Fast forward 40 years and the same guy using the same equipment (no stickers at all) decides to refinish his tanks like done here...is he now automatically out of the vintage club?

JES wrote:Excellent point! It's important to know what you're striving to attain. 8)
I agree...what's the goal? To have a rig that can be displayed as an example of what the factory put out that is diveable? Or to just have a cool looking rig that he can enjoy for years to come? Whichever way he chooses I don't think precludes him from being "Vintage".

Anyways, rant over.

PS-I still think they look balls cool just as they are!!!

usddude
Master Diver

Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:52 pm

JES wrote:
simonbeans wrote:IMHO, seeing as how you have a Sportsways maniford, you might want to use Sportsways stickers. What is the maker of the tanks? What type of harness? Again, are you striving for authenticity of vintage or ecelectic?
Excellent point! It's important to know what you're striving to attain. 8)
Very true. I need more time to determine the manufacturer of the tanks as the markings are shallow. Sportsways is not stamped on the tanks... that I am sure. Original hydro is 1969+. DOT3AA1800. They came to me yellow with sportsways doubles metal backpack with the orange straps and the sportsways manifold. The only stickers were a few VIP's from the 70's and a big Save Our Seas dive centers decal on each tank. I wanted this size tanks(45's or 38's?) but with 3/4" necks because my LDS really has warmed up to me and my vintage gear after my influence on them :D but they really dont like messing with my 1/2" valves when I need a VIP. I would like to have some Voits like these but I'm ok with the Sportsways(or whatever) because of the 3/4"valves. Authentic would probably be to put on the Sportsways decals? I just rebuilt a Dacor manifold with a HP port...I really like the HP port idea on that manifold. They may end up being bastard twins if that eclectic streak I have kicks in. So I'm still striving to attain something and the help I am getting so far seems to help.Thanks!!!!!

usd

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:03 pm

I think what Allan is/was trying to get at has to due with looking just like the catalog pictures from the year of your gear.....All authentic like you just walked out of Jack the Frogmans store in 1950/1960 with all your shiny new gear and headed to the water to try it out before you put neon color flowers or Hello Kitty stickers all over you stuff....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

usddude
Master Diver

Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:19 pm

Very well said Bryan. I do have a beautiful set of Sportsways Navy super xl size fins that I adore but by no means have I intended to be a "Sportsways Diver" so the insignia goes. The Sportsways insignia kinda kicks me in the ass with the single stage regulator included within the insignia :( because I'm a double hose person.............ya know :?: I got a few USD chrome single hose regs but all of us do!!!! There is sorta of a mystique about Sportsways though.

usd

As far as stepping out of a catalog.....man that is a tough deal to do. Especially from 40 or 50 years ago. Damn I am sooooo close...very close, I will do it!!! I'm practically there...just a little more :D Perfection is a virtue. Dude it is so hard to narrow down into a certain year...ya know :shock: There are so many temptations to pull you out of a year its just astronomical!!!!!!!!!!

usd

Beforehand... Douchebag has accused meself of reading into the tealeaves....smart man he is!

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:54 pm

Douchebag said,
"I don't know if I agree with that. Just because the tanks aren't labelled means he's eclectic? That's another existential question...just because things aren't labelled means he's not a vintage diver? If he has all the same STYLE gear, uses the same methods and techniques is he not a vintage diver? Or does the addition of stickers make it official?"
I don't want to get into the authentic/orginal/repro/eclectic discussion again as it really serves no purpose. However, IMHO, why would you want to label something of vintage age with a logo of a different manufacturer? To me, that would be like putting a Ford oval on a 1957 Chevy. It really doesn't matter in this case as the tanks are unknown, but the valve is. The original purpose of labels was advertising anyway. In the early 1960s all major brands used them; still do I think. We did put our own embellishments on our gear, but I don't remember changing the brand lablels. We did use many brands according to preference or ability to obtain. My Cressi Rhondine fins contrasted with my custom Central Skindivers wetsuit or my USD tank and reg.

A final note:
USDude can do whatever he would like, they are his tanks. He could even go the way of Ivan's flower petals. Kinda cute.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Return to “Tanks and Valves”