JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Re: Old Navy Aluminum tanks

Sun May 17, 2009 5:20 pm

Tom, Thanks for sharing these photos.

I believe these tanks have found the perfect home. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

captain
Plank Owner

Sun May 17, 2009 7:18 pm

JES wrote:Tom, Thanks for sharing these photos.

I believe these tanks have found the perfect home. 8)
Kind of a realization of a life long dream. One of the first publications I bought when I started diving was the Navy Aqua Lung instruction book Nav-Ships 394-0056 which covered the DA Navy regulator and the aluminum tanks. I got the DA Navy but couldn't get the tanks until now.
Captain

WD8CDH

Mon May 18, 2009 7:50 am

Are both tanks 699 cu in? Curious as to if that is a measured value or nominal.

WD8CDH

Mon May 18, 2009 7:58 am

captain wrote:<snip>One weights 34# 1 oz the other 34# 3 oz without valves.

I see nothing that would indicate a manufacturer.

There is a square with what appears to be a winged symbol below three rosettes.

The plug in the bottom is readily visible inside but not so much outside.

I would think they would be similar to AL 80's. Luxfer list the internal volume of an AL 80 as 678 and weight as 31.4 so the Navy tanks are about 20 cu/in's larger and 3 lb heavier.
I calculate that they would be about 1 3/4 pound more negative empty than a Luxfer 80. :)

captain
Plank Owner

Mon May 18, 2009 10:51 am

WD8CDH wrote:Are both tanks 699 cu in? Curious as to if that is a measured value or nominal.

One is 699 and the other is 704 so it must be a measured value.

I checked a tank bare(no valve) and the fresh water buoyancy was 3lb 10oz positive.
Captain

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon May 18, 2009 12:51 pm

Tom,

That stamped symbol is usually used to indicate that the piece of property you have belongs to the government. I've seen it stamped on desks, bunks, etc. It is what makes something "GI".

My barracks furniture had it on it in some random places.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

JES
Plank Owner

Mon May 18, 2009 1:43 pm

slonda828 wrote:Tom,

That stamped symbol is usually used to indicate that the piece of property you have belongs to the government. I've seen it stamped on desks, bunks, etc. It is what makes something "GI".

Or more appropriately known as a DoD (Department of Defense) acceptance stamp. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108

captain
Plank Owner

Mon May 18, 2009 2:35 pm

JES wrote:
slonda828 wrote:Tom,

Or more appropriately known as a DoD (Department of Defense) acceptance stamp. 8)

If that's the case I am surprised it wasn't tattooed on me. Maybe I wasn't totally acceptable.

The tanks are at the hydro shop. They have no problem with testing them, they just won't stamp them which is fine with me because I will be the only one filling them if they pass.
Captain

TENNESSEE DIVER
Diver

Tue May 19, 2009 7:27 pm

Tom I will try to have your info and photos to you by weeks end if not before. and it is never to much to ask for the guys on this site. You all have helped when I needed answers, so I do what I can to repay that help to who ever asks.
I have known Bryan from before he started this site, and he has always been a help. And most of all and upright guy. I am so proud he has made a such a go of this, as I remember when he had doubts about if it there was a market for this .
He has put vintage two hose regs back on the map with the help of his friends, and made the cost reasonable to all. I wish to see it grow more in future for him and us.---Ron Miller

captain
Plank Owner

Thu May 21, 2009 12:21 pm

I got the tanks back from the hydro shop and both tanks passed hydro, eddy current and visual with flying colors.
TE 67.1 cc,s, EE 65.6 cc's, PE 1.5 cc's, 2.2% REE 88cc's
TE 67.6 cc's, EE 66.8 cc's, PE 0.8 cc's, 1.2% REE 87 cc's
Captain

JES
Plank Owner

Thu May 21, 2009 2:08 pm

captain wrote:I got the tanks back from the hydro shop and both tanks passed hydro, eddy current and visual with flying colors.
TE 67.1 cc,s, EE 65.6 cc's, PE 1.5 cc's, 2.2% REE 88cc's
TE 67.6 cc's, EE 66.8 cc's, PE 0.8 cc's, 1.2% REE 87 cc's

Sweet! Congratulations!! 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108

Danny D
Lung Diver

Wed May 27, 2009 12:37 pm

I'm very curious as to how they dive because I have an original Navy set at my disposal as well.

captain
Plank Owner

Wed May 27, 2009 10:06 pm

I was in the process of making bands for the tanks that duplicate to originals as closely as possible. Ron Miller is helping me out with dimensions and pictures of his but I have hit a road block. I had planned on using a USD three piece manifold that I have but from discussions with Ron it seems the manifold was special to these tanks with a 9" spread C to C rather than the usual 8-1/8" C to C used on double 72's.
I will probably go ahead and use the manifold I have and make the bands accordingly and wait for some extraordinary stroke of luck to come across an original manifold.
Captain

Danny D
Lung Diver

Wed May 27, 2009 11:45 pm

Well I took the Navy Seal Manifold off of this particular set of tanks. It is a standard USD manifold and I have placed it on a set of Alum 50s with no problem!

captain
Plank Owner

Thu May 28, 2009 12:08 am

Danny D wrote:Well I took the Navy Seal Manifold off of this particular set of tanks. It is a standard USD manifold and I have placed it on a set of Alum 50s with no problem!

What is the distance between the centers of the two burst disc. Is it 8-1/8" or 9 "

The Navy tanks are 7.6" in diameter and the 50's are 6.9" so the gap between the tanks would be larger with the 50's. Normally the gap between 6.9 " tanks is about 1" with a standard USD manifold but with the Navy tanks the gap is 5/8". What bands did you use on the 50's.
Captain

Return to “Tanks and Valves”