antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: 38s and post valves

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:26 pm

Vintagediver wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:43 pm
James and Bill; the valve issue the two of you are dealing with brings back fond memories of a leaking Voit twin manifold some years back. Bill and I got the problem finally resolved; however to achieve that as each of us studied the schematics and posted back and forth I recall there was some rum and coke flowing in Michigan and so was the Bourbon in Texas; but we got er done!! :lol: :D
I remember that, Terry! And how it drove us to need refreshments. I hope the manifold is still holding air. :D
The older I get the better I was.

James
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:47 pm

Well, I still need to clean and reassemble the Superior (sans o-ring)... but I did get the co2 1.8k burst discs in and tried one. It appears to fit, so I'll give it a try. Looks promising so far.

James
Lung Diver

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:36 pm

One tank is at the shop for cleaning and vis.... stupid expensive, but I'm not trained/don't have the skill set for either (yet). On a first look, they said disparaging things.... So we'll see. I assembled the other with the valve I already rebuilt, and transfilled about 250 psi into it.... it's sitting in the shop and I'll check in about an hour if it still has 250 in it. No obvious or noisy leaks though, so it looks promising. This is with a 1.8k paintball burst disc assembly from Amazon. If it hold ok, tomorrow I'll have a kid take to the bottom of the pool and make sure it breathes fine with the 2/3 turn valve. Mean time, I'll clean up the Superior valve so it can have a turn tomorrow as the no o-ring test subject.
More to follow!

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:05 pm

For air service,I do it all myself. I built a tank roller and bought 25 pounds of ceramic media for $2.50 per pound. It is more than enough to last the rest of my days. After the roll I clean my tanks with SIMPLE GREEN and use my own compressor to fill them up. I do my own VIP's. I took the PSI training course so I have an idea on what to look for. Dive shops seem to make up the rules as they go along. I have totally removed them from the loop.
If you only have a couple tanks, going to this extreme is probably not for you. If however you accumulate a tank farm like I did, doing everything in house becomes a viable option.
Best of luck in your endeavors. Have fun with it!!

James
Lung Diver

Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:55 am

Not a tank farm... but getting there. 4 72's in service, one to be cleaned/hydro'd/hopefully put in service... hopefully these 2 38's, A 3000psi steel 27 off a drager dolphin that needs hydro, and an AL19. I'd love a compressor, but my better half would kill me for spending the money!

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:07 am

I'd love a compressor, but my better half would kill me for spending the money!

Aah; but if she only knew how much money a compressor will save you in the long run! :D
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:27 am

Vintagediver wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:07 am
I'd love a compressor, but my better half would kill me for spending the money!

Aah; but if she only knew how much money a compressor will save you in the long run! :D
Ok Bill, come on over here and make that argument to my wife. I'll just be standing over here behind a blast curtain minding my own business in a 2nd grade duck and cover drill position. 😎
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:44 am

OK, I fear no woman.
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:00 pm

antique diver wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:44 am
OK, I fear no woman.
You will.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

James
Lung Diver

Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:02 pm

I mean, if any of you advocating a compressor have one to donate to me, it wouldn't hurt my feelings... lol
It's on the someday list.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:52 pm

Tell your better half that if you have a compressor you will be filling tanks at home. While out in the shop you have to mind said compressor, so if there are minor honey do things you can take care of them while you fill your tanks... Truth be told, you need to fill a lot of tanks to have the compressor pay for itself. But not having to put up with the BS at a lot of shops makes it well worth while. Take the PSI tank inspection course and do your own VIP's and when the need arises take them to a good hydro place to get them re qualified. It will set you free and make it that much easier to go diving!

James
Lung Diver

Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:17 am

Well, life slowed down projects a little... I put together one tank (not inspected yet) to test that valve, and transfilled 300 ish psi into it. It leaked down over the course of a couple hours... but the reg set I had sitting on it stayed pressurized with the valve off. That tells me the valve stem isn't leaking (yay), but leaves me needing to identify the actual leak.. which could be the bushing to tank seal, valve to bushing seal, or the paintball burst disk. As long as it's option A or B, I call it a win. I'm sill recovering from surgery (not able to put much torque on things), so I suspect it's bushing or valve taper seal. Those can be fixed after tanks are cleaned and inspected.
Slow progress, but getting there.

James
Lung Diver

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:35 pm

Well, with 300 psi in the tank the kid took it into the pool for me, and confirmed my leak is from the bush to tank connection. Which I don't care about, because it will be coming apart for cleaning and inspection anyway. The valve had no leaks, either from the stem or the burst disc... so it looks like I have a viable source of 1.8k working pressure disc assemblies. Now to finally clean and rebuild the Superior valve. Other tank should get cleaned and inspected this week.... then I'll take this one in.

James
Lung Diver

Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:19 pm

Update on the slow tank project: LDS took forever on a clean and vis.... nice people though, and it was done in trade for some work in kind, so no complaints. Just took a while. One tank is good, the other has pitting that the LDS won't sign off on. I'll take it for a second opinion somewhere else, but no heart burn if the agree with my local shop (I can see the pitting and understand the concern... just don't have the training to make the call myself).
So the good tank I assembled (local shop hasn't ever done tapered valves or bushings, so let me put it together and they put the vis sticker on it), and we got it filling.... at about 1500 psi the burst disc popped! Brand new 1800 psi disc assembly (albeit made for co2 tanks). Damnit. And the shop isn't open on weekends. So I'll replace the disc, and transfil it off a tank I have here to verify the bushing and valve interfaces aren't leaking (if it does, I presume tightening a little more is the first step?). My 10 y.o. is super excited to start using this... upset that I'm not up to working on it tonight!
Fingers crossed that it will be up and diving (in the pool) tomorrow.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:45 pm

James wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:19 pm
.... at about 1500 psi the burst disc popped! Brand new 1800 psi disc assembly (albeit made for co2 tanks). Damnit.
How many inch-pounds of torque did you install the burst disk with? Some (most) are real sensitive that way. 8)

Return to “Tanks and Valves”