ubxdiver
Diver
First Name: John

Pillar valve plug

Sat May 30, 2020 9:50 pm

Picked up this 72 with a pillar valve. It has a port with an incorrect size port plug. No o-ring and is too long for the port. Any suggestions for resources to find the right port plug? Yes, I know the O-ring is cracked.
Valve.01_LI (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Pillar valve plug

Sun May 31, 2020 8:17 am

It's OK, no need for concern. That's a 1/8" tapered pipe plug, and it's the correct thread for that valve.
I know it's larger than 1/8", but pipe thread size designations do not go by outside diameter.
The older I get the better I was.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun May 31, 2020 12:29 pm

Bill check your PM's
Herman

ubxdiver
Diver

Sun May 31, 2020 2:53 pm

Alright, Thanks. I just feel compelled to put an o-ring on it. Jus' don't seem right!

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun May 31, 2020 4:06 pm

ubxdiver wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:53 pm
Alright, Thanks. I just feel compelled to put an o-ring on it. Jus' don't seem right!
Well, the tapered threads (NPT / National Pipe Taper) seal tighter and tighter as the components are threaded together, so you can feel safe using the valve in the current configuration :)

That type of thread has been around for years and years before that valve was made, and is still in modern production use. It's not something dreamed up by that French guy in 1943. NPT still works well, and I use all kinds of 6000-6500 psi NPT threaded components in the modern compressed air industry.

If it will make you feel better just stretch a small oring over the end of the plug and onto the threads. 8)

ubxdiver
Diver

Sun May 31, 2020 7:24 pm

:lol:

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:51 am

I have said before the safest most reliable rig is a Mistral regulator on a tank with a tapered pipe thread J valve. Only one critical O ring in the whole set up, tank to regulator.
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:47 am

captain wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:51 am
I have said before the safest most reliable rig is a Mistral regulator on a tank with a tapered pipe thread J valve. Only one critical O ring in the whole set up, tank to regulator.

That's an easy statement to agree with!

You could even take it one step further and use the early valves that used a flat Teflon seal instead of an oring at the outlet. (Yes, PTFE, aka Teflon was around back then, having been invented around 1938.) They took a more torque on the yoke screw to make the seal, but I never saw one blow out. You will see also see those valves with a semi-flat rubber washer. I have heard that some really early ones may have used leather washers.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”