ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: cracked J-62 weld?

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:30 pm

Hi Bill,

So the more I thought about it the more I disfavored breaking up my 1/2" npt tapered manifold to cannibalize the center section. Then I remembered I had a newer USD manifold on my beloved (but alas bad alloy cracked neck yellow twin 50's I bought new in the mid 70's). So I took that center section, replaced the black on/off knob with an old-style one, and viola,  a new center section for my steel twin 45's ! Plus I get to keep using a piece of that old rig I had so many adventures with over the years. I have pleased the vintage overlords.  :)

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:53 pm

Good move M.
The older I get the better I was.

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:02 am

Taper 1/4" pipe thread, a propane torch will melt the solder. Rather than solder I use J-B Weld to install them. That is how I built the triple manifolds.
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:45 am

captain wrote:
Taper 1/4" pipe thread, a propane torch will melt the solder. Rather than solder I use J-B Weld to install them. That is how I built the triple manifolds.
Did you use the J-B on the threads instead of Teflon tape, or just above the threads around the stem?
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:10 pm

And here I thought I knew all there was to know about J-62 manifolds. :)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:33 am

captain wrote:
Thanks Tom. Knowing this, I think I'd be tempted to try a repair of the original. Heat it up, unscrew it, straighten the bend, clean it up, flux it, screw it in, heat it up and apply solder so it sucks into the threads. Would that be the process?
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

captain
Plank Owner

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:06 am

antique diver wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:45 am
captain wrote:
Did you use the J-B on the threads instead of Teflon tape, or just above the threads around the stem?
No tape, just J-B Weld
Captain

captain
Plank Owner

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:19 am

SurfLung wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:33 am
captain wrote:
Thanks Tom. Knowing this, I think I'd be tempted to try a repair of the original. Heat it up, unscrew it, straighten the bend, clean it up, flux it, screw it in, heat it up and apply solder so it sucks into the threads. Would that be the process?
That should work. The biggest problem is holding the nipple to screw everything together. Both male and female threads need to be cleaned up with a tap and die. I never tried to repair the old nipple, I used new nipples. The new nipples have flats on the ball end so you can use a wrench on them. Getting the old ones out generally ruins them unless you make a special wrench similar to a barrel wrench for a firearm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJIXdRpqakU
Captain

Return to “Tanks and Valves”