ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Proper size question

Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:46 pm

My removal tool is too narrow (i.e prongs too close together) for my 1959 valve. Yes, I know I can file down the one I have but I'd rather get the right tool for the job. What size/supplier do I need?

Thanks,

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Proper size question

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:35 pm

I would suggest getting screwdriver with a large blade, or flat steel stock of right thickness for a perfect fit in the slots, then clamp it in a vise and get to work with files and dremel tool to make a perfect custom fit. It will help keep from damaging the nuts, more easily break loose tight ones, and you will be glad you have it for future repairs and projects.
The older I get the better I was.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:59 pm

Option 1) Here is a tool for $4.99. I have one of this in my safe a dive kit. It is great.
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/tank-knob-tool-dss/

Option 2) A bit fancier for $13.99
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/min ... rewdriver/

Option 3) A real fancy Sherwood valve multi-tool for $48.99
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/she ... ulti-tool/

Option 4) A simple tool for $16
https://www.scubatools.com/p-677-custom-valve-tool.aspx

Option 5) A general purpose multi-tool with a valve screw driver for $28.95. A bit expensive.
https://smile.amazon.com/Xs-Scuba-TL110 ... 167&sr=8-5

Option 6) Now this one is a real winner!!
This is a general purpose multi-tool with a valve screw driver for $16.82
But… in addition to the valve screw and an assortment of other very useful scuba tools (hex keys/ Allen wrenches, screw drivers, O-ring pick, Schrader valve tool, etc.) it has a built in church key! :)
So if you can't fix the valve... everything is not lost. Kidding aside. I have a few of these tools, in my safe a dive kit and even in my work bench. It is just handy.

https://smile.amazon.com/Scuba-Choice-D ... 167&sr=8-4
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 pm

Bill, Luis, thanks for the replies.

Bill, NO - too much work. :)

Luis, YES - I'll look into your suggestions. :)

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:51 pm

I recommend options 1 and 6.

But at some point I also got the Sherwood tool (option 3) for cheap so bought it. I like tools.

To be honest, the one that I use the most is the multi-tool, option 6. The blade fit the valve nuts that I encounter, just right. And the tool body work like a decent handle.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

antique diver
Master Diver

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:16 pm

I can't believe you would forego the satisfaction of making your own tool to fit that nut perfectly.

Be advised there is a slight difference in the fit that my require a little adjustment to adapt a more modern tool to that style of nut. If nut is stuck really tight you may yet need to yield a file to "improve" the fit and successfully remove the nut.

Or it may work just fine! :)

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:32 pm

Looks like I already have #2 and #3. Both have the prongs too close together for my valve. One of the others may do the trick.

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:28 am

That's the problem with all the regular tools I had. Suggesting you get a set of small and medium files or bring it out here and use my special valve tool.

couv
Master Diver

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:48 am

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 pm
Luis, YES - I'll look into your suggestions. :)

Mark
Me thinks the "church key" is the selling point.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:38 am

"Church Key, wonder how many still know what that is....been a long time since one was needed. :)
Herman

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:02 am

antique diver wrote:
Suggesting you ... bring it out here and use my special valve tool.
Bill, let me just pack up the van and head over to Texas, just gotta find my Thomas Guide and stop and get a six-pack of beer bottles that my church key will work on. ... :)

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:12 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:02 am
antique diver wrote:
Suggesting you ... bring it out here and use my special valve tool.
Bill, let me just pack up the van and head over to Texas, just gotta find my Thomas Guide and stop and get a six-pack of beer bottles that my church key will work on. ... :)

I'll keep the porch light on for you. BTW, There are plenty of real beers in Texas that still require that tool, so bring it. The new-fangled twist off caps generally come on the lightweight beers.

Is it true that you have to have a concealed carry permit to carry a sharp object like a church key in California?
I also heard they came stamped with the disclaimer "Caution, the beverages commonly opened with this object are known by the State of California to impair the ability to operate motor vehicles". :P

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:43 pm

Tool-vintage valve nut.JPG
"M", don't jump off just yet and buy another new-fangled Chinese tool that won't work on a Vintage USD Valve Nut.

Custom made top secret combo-tool that is designed to fit the old style valve nuts coming your way. I figure it's the least I can do in trade for that Truk Lagoon trip. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:51 pm

antique diver wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:43 pm
Tool-vintage valve nut.JPG
"M", don't jump off just yet and buy another new-fangled Chinese tool that won't work on a Vintage USD Valve Nut.

Custom made top secret combo-tool that is designed to fit the old style valve nuts coming your way. I figure it's the least I can do in trade for that Truk Lagoon trip. :D
You're the best "A."

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:35 pm

Your custom made dual purpose nut driver/_?_ shipped today by first class postage. It is ergonomically designed to work equally well in your right or left hand, assuming you are least somewhat ambidextrous. Both primary functions have been thoroughly tested and found effective at their designed purpose. In fact it works better on those vintage USD nuts than one I made for myself a few years back.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”