hunterkz
Lung Diver
First Name: gary

Need some help with a new to me compressor.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:00 pm

I bit the bullet and ordered a Cornelius Model 130R1500 I found online. After reading the manual and looking at the scematics it looks as if it has a very basic air filter and water separator that would need an additional filter to be safe. Where can I get a filter stack that I can fill with media or cartridge for a reasonable price. I see some Chinese units and they are even $300. Also after reading the compressor 101 it looks like I need a PMV to help get rid of water. There is only one water separator after the 3rd stage, other folks seem to have one after each stage. There is also minimal cooling surface on the hard lines. Would it be good to add some tubing length with coils to help cool the air after each stage? I did order some Mobil jet 2 oil off ebay as that is what is suggested by others. Image

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Need some help with a new to me compressor.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:28 pm

In my limited experience with a recently acquired Cornelius compressor I note that it actually runs fairly cool on an 80 degree day, which is surprising considering the short tubing runs that you noted. So far I don't see any need to revise the factory tubing arrangement, but I haven't seen how well it works in the heat of a Texas summer yet. It would be simple to add a longer tube with a few loops between each stage to dissipate more heat.

When they were sold they were promoted as having an adequate separator/filter combination to provide clean breathing air... but apparently divers' expectations were pretty low in the 50's. I won't be putting any of that smelly air into my cylinders! I just go direct from the existing Cornelius separator into my "real" filter tower that I use for one of my other compressors, and everything comes out of that nice and clean.

So far I think it's a well designed and efficient little unit, with its only apparent shortcoming being the lack of a filter tower to accommodate some molecular sieve and charcoal.
The older I get the better I was.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:16 am

Congratulations on your Cornelius compressor. Its a neat piece of history and can fill your tanks just fine.

As for getting a filter tower, prepare for some sticker shock. I was very fortunate to have AntiqueDiver who sold me a previously owned filter array of 4 small tubes for a reasonable price. Most of the new ones use a single LARGE tube and cost from $500 to a few thousand dollars. VintageDiver Terry got one for HIS Cornelius 130R1500 from Shelden Sporting goods (online). Terry's Cornelius project has a nice discussion on this forum at http://vintagedoublehose.com/forum/view ... =40&t=7380

Those Chinese filter towers look interesting... Some mention of them in the forum, too. We need somebody to volunteer and be the test dummy (manikin?) and try them out... Looks like $200 for the 2-tower unit plus $100 shipping... So at least they must be heavy? I wonder if there is a way to have a hydro test done on them before putting them into use? Funny how I would feel that's needed just because they're made in China. After all, these tubes are just thick walled metal tubes with some machining... Why they should cost $1000s is a mystery.

One more thought: I had to replace the 3rd stage separator tower on my RIX. I called the manufacturer. Regular price was $380 but the nice lady gave it to me for $300. This is not a filter tower but I wonder if you could contact Alkin USA (compressor company) and buy a "replacement part" filter tower... Same one they put on their Alkin W31 compressor for example?

UPDATE: There's a place selling NEW Coltri filter towers on Ebay for about $400. It looks like a Coltri compressor dealer. Coltri is a reputable name and that's a heck of a good price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scuba-Paintbal ... SwMURaq34f
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:38 am

Thanks for the info. It seems crazy the filter towers are more expensive than the compressor and all they are is a tube with threaded ends and fittings. I am inherently cheap so I was looking for a less expensive alternative. I found some aircraft hydraulic accumulators rated for 3000psi working pressure that have threaded ends to open them up and have smaller threaded holes on the caps to put tubing. They are 16 inches long by 3 inches diameter. Would it work to use one filled with felt pads, charcoal and 13x. I would also add a drain at the bottom. I know I am being cheap but I do like to tinker. Time I have, money not so much.

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:07 am

Good luck with your Cornelius compressor; it's a great little machine and has served me well since I've had mine. I was in the same place you are right now about 4 years ago when I purchased mine, and the help I received from the guys on this site and also VSS was very informative and helpful. I wanted to mention the thread that I started back then (1-4-14); but I see that Eben has already beat me to the punch and posted the link to it. Be sure to read it; I'm sure it will be of great help to you. In regards to the separator/filtration tower you are speaking of adding; that's a very good idea to do. I added one to mine which I got from Jim Shelden at sheldensportinggoods.com. I'm not sure if Jim is still selling them or not because I think he may have retired. I also had a phone number for him which was: (316) 992-0505. Some time ago I also received an email from him letting me know that he had a new email address which is: [email protected] The tower I bought from Jim was a 21" tower and I paid $178.00 for it. I was going to buy a 14" that I believe he sold for $147.00 but he was out of them at the time. These towers were modified Sprague hydraulic accumulator with a working psi of 3000. He also had the replaceable cartridge inside which you can remove to change your sponge and filtration chemicals. Hopefully this will be of some help to you, and best of luck with your project. Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:10 pm

Thanks, I did read your build thread and the filter tower looked like an accumulator. That is what got me thinking. At least I was on the right path. $170 for a tower is more in my price range. I think it will be a fun project and save me from all the driving to the lds for not so full tanks. It is a really cool little unit. If someone made the same thing now it would sell like crazy. Hopefully it is in good shape when I get it from fedex. By the way you guys will think this is funny. I bought a can of Mobil jet 2 oil off ebay. When I got it the can was empty. I missed that small detail buried down in the fine print. At least it was only $15.

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Ouch, you got burned on the oil. Jim Sheldon told me I could also use something like the Anderoil 500, which is about like a 30 weight oil. I am using the synthetic Summit oil, SL500 which is same weight and I have easy access to it from August Industries. I also use that in my little Bauer Utilus 10 that I have had for at least 25 years. It has seen heavy use, and still doing fine. They also stock a turbine oil like the Mobile Jet oil you mentioned. Either is available at Augustindustries.com

I have a lead on a small Bauer filter with built in back pressure valve and check valve, and hope to hear something back on that to pass on to you within a day or two. A non-Bauer compressor dealer has it, and hoping he will come up with a good price on that. I'll let you know when I hear.

antique diver
Master Diver

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:15 am

antique diver wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:49 pm

I have a lead on a small Bauer filter with built in back pressure valve and check valve, and hope to hear something back on that to pass on to you within a day or two. A non-Bauer compressor dealer has it, and hoping he will come up with a good price on that. I'll let you know when I hear.
Gary, I asked two different compressor distributors about this, both of whom acknowledged having some good used or new take-off filters they would sell, and both saying they would get back to me with descriptions and prices. Neither one of them got back to me! I guess they don't really care about selling them, preferring to store them forever. Sorry about that. If you want to try contacting them directly I can email you the names and phone numbers. I'd rather not "advertise" for them in the forum at this point, as I find their lack of following through an embarrassment. :cry:

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:04 pm

Thanks Bill,
Yes, I get the same run around from places at times. Thanks for the info and asking about that stuff for me. Instead I am getting a hydraulic accumulator off ebay that looks very similar to the one Terry has. Also on the list is a PMV, check valve, a bunch of fittings and a fill whip. After I get all that stuff cleaned up and together I will deal with the guts of the filter. I guess this is my midlife crisis. Instead of a sports car I am getting a 1950's compressor and a double hose regulator :)

Return to “Compressor Talk”