SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Compressor Prices

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Compressor Prices
- I've been servicing my RIX SA3 compressor and when I called RIX to order parts, it occurred to me to ask Christa how much it costs to buy a NEW RIX compressor. She said a new SA3 starts at $6,000 and a new SA6 starts at $8150. So, those of use who have been able to acquire a used one at a reasonable price are enjoying "Sweet Air" oil-less compression at bargain prices.
- (Above) RIX SA3 Retail Starting at $6,000
- (Above) RIX SA6 Retail Starting at $8150

What do other Scuba Compressors sell for when they are NEW?
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Compressor Prices

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:40 am

In 2008 I paid $2200.00 for my Alkin W31 with 19 hours on the clock. One of the best purchases I've ever made. Watch local Craigs lists and Scuba Board for ones that are local to you. You may have to drive a few miles but there are some crazy cheap prices out there and the sellers are often very motivated to get rid of it especially if they are moving. Running and maintaining a compressor is not rocket science so don't let it intimidate you. After you get it up and running I'd suggest sending out at least one air sample for testing just to be sure you got it right.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:57 am

I stumbled into my Max Air 35 about four years ago. One of my fellow dive rescue guys bought it new a few years previous. It had a gas engine on it and he intended to take it on dive trips. He never used it really and felt it was going to waste. New these go for around $3000.00. I bought mine with 11 hours on it for $1700.00. I removed the gas engine, fabricated a motor mount and put a single phase 220 electric motor on it. Although I live in Wisconsin, I dive 12 months a year, so being able to run the compressor in the shop is a huge plus!
As Bryan said, running a compressor is not rocket science. If you can keep a log and periodically change oil and filters you pretty much got it. A lot of people flinch at the purchase price. Even for a good used one like I have. True, the payback is out there a bit. But, and it's a big butt :lol: , the freedom that owning your own compressor affords is priceless. No more rushing to a dive shop before it closes. No more crapola that your tank cannot be filled because it's born on date is 1956, even though it has a current hydro and vip. I took the PSI tank inspection course and I take my tanks directly to the hydro place. I haven't entered a brick and mortar dive shop in years. Is it worth it? You bet!

Jim

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:10 pm

- My RIX SA-3 was bought used for $750. I paid Speedy Delivery $100 to pick it up in St. Louis, MO. AntiqueDiver put me together a 4-Tube filter array and fill whip for $400. And with AntiqueDiver's generous supply of advice, I got it up and running.
- Buying used has drawbacks and pluses. The drawback for me was a cracked 3rd stage moisture separator tower. 1st year I just by-passed it because the filter array has moisture separation. Eventually I replaced the moisture separator at a cost of $300. This Summer my 2nd stage over pressure valve started going off because the 3rd stage head was leaking back into the 2nd stage. So, I had to re-build the 3rd stage head... Which is basically cleaning and replacing O-rings... Not too expensive. Then, in late Summer I started hearing some piston blow-by leakage that went away after warming up. So, just recently I installed new rings, O-Ring expanders, and rider rings at a cost of about $200. So all things considered... I have about $1750 in cash so far invested... But I have a RIX SA3 almost re-built to new that I'd have had to pay $6,000 for if I bought it new!
- Pluses (*for me) are that I made a heck of a good friend in AntiqueDiver and I've learned a lot about compressors... Something I always wished I had when I was too young to afford it. And like SwimJim, I love the independence of filling my own tanks. :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:33 am

I had no idea that the Rix prices had gone up so much. Makes me like mine even more... I think I had better go out and polish it up and give it a little better TLC.
They are really quite a bit higher priced when new than most other premium brand compressors, so you don't see many of them around here.

Eben, you have done a great job repairing and upgrading yours since you got it. Keep up the good work.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Compressor Talk”