Robohips77
Master Diver

Ingersoll Rand 5 cfm compressor

Mon May 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Ok so recently I ran across an Ingersoll Rand Compressor, 5CFM 4 stage with a three phase 230/460 volt motor. I changed out the motor to a 230 V single phase and rewired the starter box. All was good to go. This compressor is from 1974 and has only 196 hours on it. Auto shut down at 3100 psi and manual condensate dump on the bottom of a Robbins Air purification system. Lawrence Factor filters still available for it. My first run of this compressor air straight from compressor through new filter was sent to Trace Analytics and came back with flying colors PASSED. So here is my question. Do any of you older sea dogs out there think this compressor could do high pressure maybe up to 3600? I know it is adjustable on the auto shut off but if I am reading the manual correctly the auto pop offs on the fourth stage looks as those may activate at 33-3500 psi? I am looking for some input on this. I want to sell this ( I have IT LISTED) but everyone wants a little higher pressure today. It is a model 223x 5.
Thanks for anyone's input.
Rog
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

captain
Plank Owner

Re: Ingersoll Rand 5 cfm compressor

Mon May 09, 2016 9:30 pm

3500 shouldn't be a problem for a 4 stage. Is the pop off a mechanical relief valve or an electrical solenoid valve. A mechanical valve could possibly be set higher. A solenoid valve has to have a pressure switch activating it and if so it should be able to be set to a higher pressure. A picture of the pop off would help.
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon May 09, 2016 10:20 pm

The 223 is a three stage pump, which may appear at first look to be a 4. First and second stages are together in the larger cylinder assembly. The third stage piston is small, and sits on top of a larger diameter guide piston. The cylinder is of two diameters to accommodate the two joined pistons, which may make it appear to be two stages in that cylinder assembly at first glance.

Not sure what to say about the pressure question. I have a little experience with a 223, but haven't run one for long periods to see how much heat they generate. Rumor has it that they run pretty hot, and I/R has even suggested in writing that their breathing air compressors should be allowed cool down periods instead of running continuously for long periods. I will try to find that bulletin and post it if I can, but it was a long time ago.

Anyway higher pressures equal hotter temperatures, which can lead to faster wear or oil ignition in extreme cases. One way to help compensate is to slow the rpms down a little with a smaller drive sheave (or an adjustable one... my preference). Of course you lose some cfm doing that. Not saying that higher pressures can't be done, but with the manufacturer having reservations about heat build up I suggest caution. I will try to find out more. Sometimes I am overly cautious about these matters!

Also could have been a later version, resulting in a 4 stage, but that typically would include a change in model number, and I have never heard of one.
The older I get the better I was.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon May 09, 2016 10:54 pm

I should have added that I like the 223. It is a quiet-running solid machine of the old school, heavily built, etc. :)
I recently started one up that had been sitting for at least 20+ years. I would normally expect head valve corrosion issues, and maybe even seized piston, but this thing purred like a kitten and has been a real joy for the owner. I added pressure gauges on the stages, added a new start relay and rewired the whole thing, but never had to get inside the heads or block. Of course new oil. Ran it for a while and changed it again. Set the pressure switch to 3200.
The older I get the better I was.

Robohips77
Master Diver

Wed May 11, 2016 12:17 pm

Bill and Captain thanks for the replies. Bill it is exactly as you describe and is a three stage pump. It too runs extremely quiet. the hour meter is a vibration type meter and I think it is out of order so I am installing another newer model on it tonight. I did switch out the oil with synthetic and plan on doing it again after about 5 hours of run time. It is definitely a three stage unit as I have taken time to read the entire manual. I will post a picture of the unit here. I just finished up my PSI/PCI inspector class and really even after almost 40 years of doing this I still learned a butt load of information from Mark Gresham the owner. Well worth the time and money. Ok with that said the compressor does have an adjustable solenoid switch on it for shut down pressure. I am thinking of getting it up 3300 . Each cylinder has a mechanical pop off but I can not tell what pressure they are set too. Thanks again for all your help.
Rog
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:20 pm

Used to run one of these back in the day in Tallahassee.....we always pumped to 3500 on aluminum 80's. We called it a HOT FILL.

YES! Really a beautiful machine.

Return to “Compressor Talk”