Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Huka

Tue May 03, 2016 11:29 pm

Im concidering building a gas run huka system for my boat. From what I understand from this forum on filter setups, and talking to people in here, Im thinking I can use a regular garage compressor with synthetic lubricating oil in the compressor and a large charcoal filter on the breathing line. Since the air is only being compressed to 120-150 psi, I asume there is no need for the ultra dry air and desicant. Of coarse a bulk water/oil seperator before the charcoal filter. Aside from a high air intake snorkel, what should I consider? Or is this a totaly unwise way to have a cheep and unlimited air suply. My reason for not using an oiless compressor is because I want the long life and volume of a regular piston compressor.
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

captain
Plank Owner

Re: Huka

Wed May 04, 2016 9:20 am

I would just use a non lubricated diaphragm compressor and not worry about filters.

http://www.akmining.com/T80-Diaphragm-A ... ogId=-3389

https://keeneeng.com/pamphlets/introHooka.html
Captain

crimediver
Master Diver

Fri May 13, 2016 9:43 pm

I dove with a Keene hookah before that belonged to a friend. It was run off of a gas motor that powered a gold dredge and compressor. I cannot remember the psi that came from the hookah compressor but it was lower than the standard IP from a regulator first stage. I am thinking around 90 PSI maybe. It had a second stage regulator that was tuned to perform at a lower pressure just for that set up. There was also about a five gallon air tank the compressor fed air into and the umbilical came out of the tank. It acted as a reserve so if the engine stopped you could breath from that tank as you came up. The reserve tank is a good idea if you build your own setup.

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:28 am

I thought about going with a diaphragm pump, but I want to be sure I can run two divers to 60' with extra hose and plenty of air to spare.

makomako
First Name: norm

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:41 am

Take a look at the Gast oil less compressors such as the model PCD-10. They are often on Ebay and you may see them being used on that Alaska gold diving TV show. They are not cheap but are well built.

Return to “Compressor Talk”