pclarke1
Lung Diver
First Name: Paul

Compressor Blog

Mon May 18, 2015 5:12 am

I stumbled upon this online and thought it may be of interest to the members of this forum. It makes a good read on the economics of running an at home compressor set up.

http://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.info/vi ... page_id=16

crimediver
Master Diver

Re: Compressor Blog

Mon May 18, 2015 8:56 am

That was an interesting article. I was surprised by the figures showing how economically he was filling his tanks. To hear my LDS whine about how they lose money on each fill but they need a compressor to get customers in the store etc. is a bit suspect to me now since reading this.

I generally got air for free as a public safety diver. My team had a compressor and I was always able to get air at fie departments. The state also bought me an air card good for a number of fills at a LDS so we could grab air if a compressor was not handy.

I got sticker shock when I actually paid for an airfill at the Outer Banks in NC a few years ago out of my own wallet. If I had to do that all the time I can easily justify a personal compressor. It is even cheaper if you do like the author did and have others go in on the purchase.

captain
Plank Owner

Re: Compressor Blog

Wed May 27, 2015 10:23 am

Good article. I have always maintained that owning a compressor is why my diving career has lasted so long. I bought the compressor I am still using in 1969, tough little booger, If I would have had to put up with the hassle of having dive shop fills, I would have quit diving long ago.
Captain

Return to “Compressor Talk”